Amazon WW Consumer Finance is looking for a seasoned Principal Economist who is able to provide structure, including sourcing, defining, and leveling, around complex and varied business problems. We seek creative thinkers who can combine a strong economic toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who know how to execute and deliver on big ideas. The Principal Economist will lead a new team that develops and expands the tools and skill sets necessary to quickly report on causal attribution for how internal Amazon programs and decisions contribute to changes to Amazon’s WW consumer business in a rapidly changing environment. For example, this team will develop the capability and automated solution to 1) quantify the business-wide impact of policies and strategic decisions, 2) use data science tools to quickly bridge growth changes to internal drivers, 3) support cost and profit attribution in internal tools, 4) provide data driven guidance on key business decisions and trade-offs, and 5) have the audit capability to track how projected downstream program benefits are actually realized and adjust future projections accordingly.
The Principal Economist will also provide thought leadership to Data Scientists and Economists embedded on other teams throughout the WW Consumer Finance organization. The Principal Economist and his/her team will be a central science resource, and will provide consulting and science supervision across the WW Consumer Finance organization.
· PhD in Economics or highly related field (Finance, Statistics, Math)
· 10+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
· Experience in applied economic analysis/causal inference and with big data and machine learning techniques
· Coding ability in a scripting language such as R, Python, Matlab, or STATA
· Strong research track record, drives results
· Thinks strategically, but also stays on top of tactical execution
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Exhibits high business judgment
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks big and has convictions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.