Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud-based voice service that powers the Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show and more. Just ask Alexa for information, music, news, weather, and more. And now you can send a message, make a call, play announcements, or drop in on your closest friends & family via Alexa devices or the Alexa app!
It’s still Day One for the Alexa Communications team – we have a lot to innovate and build to make communication through Alexa devices a magical experience. We’re working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us! The Alexa communications team is working to become the most natural way for people to communicate, and the challenge ahead is significant. We're a high energy, fast growth business excited to have the opportunity to define the future of voice-controlled communications, make Alexa even more useful, and delight customers around the world.
We are seeking talented Software Development Engineers to join our Comms Media teams. These teams provide the mechanisms and services that allow our Customers to connect and communicate with each other around the world. In this role you will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about an opportunity to build elegant systems in the most efficient ways, pushing the limits of current technology and challenging the status quo.
Key responsibilities include:
· Develop and launch core product features
· Influence our overall strategy by helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
· Create world class software and Alexa experiences
· Interact with cross-functional engineering teams across the company
· Dive into and take ownership of mission critical software puzzles
· Participate in and drive design reviews
· Contribute significantly to key communications quality of Alexa
· Innovate, prototype, and create new technology
· Design and architect a highly performant, critical application at large scale
· Work in an Agile environment to deliver high quality software
· Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Computer Engineering or equivalent required
· 5+ years development of real-time, synchronous audio processing applications
· 7+ years development of Windows application
· Strong knowledge of room acoustics and psycho-acoustics principles
· Solid knowledge of software engineering principles and good practices
· Experience with developing highly efficient and low-latency audio algorithms
· Experience with source control and code review processes
· Experience with low-latency audio drivers (e.g., ASIO, Port Audio), audio file formats (e.g., WAV), and audio codecs (e.g., OPUS)
· Experience with multi-channel audio interfaces, professional-grade studio monitors, whisper/acoustic rooms, cables, reference microphones, etc.
· Knowledge of signal processing algorithms for communications, such as acoustic echo cancellation, residual echo suppression, double-talk detection, noise reduction, automatic gain control, noise estimation
· A Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related technical field
· A passion for a high quality audio experience and innovation
· Ability to clearly articulate complex system architecture, and design considerations
· Knowledge of digital signal processing theory (FIR/IIR filter design, adaptive filtering, frequency domain analysis)
· Knowledge of remote/server application programming
· Knowledge of ITU-T, ETSI, 3GPP requirement standards for acoustic QoE tests
· Experience with Head Acoustics ACQUA testing for communications