Amazon has the world’s richest collection of e-commerce data: Hundreds of millions of customers and products, billions of transactions, petabytes of data. We need your skills to take advantage of it in order to optimize our operations, with the end goal of optimizing the experience of our customers. A core part of the operations is forecasting: We forecast the demand of tens of millions of products up to a year into the future. The forecasts are used to automatically order hundreds of millions worth of inventory weekly, to establish labor plans for over hundreds of warehouses, and to predict the company’s financial performance.
Do you want to be involved in learning predictive models from huge volumes of past data such as customer transactions and interactions, characteristics of products and their relations, prices, and promotions? Are you interested in using Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning and cutting edge ML techniques to optimize the supply chain? Do you want to develop infinitely-scalable algorithms for machine learning on the cloud that optimize Amazon’s systems using cutting edge quantitative techniques? Do you want to see your work have a huge impact to company’s results?
The Amazon Forecasting team seeks a Senior Science Manager with strong leadership and communication skills to join our team. You will lead a team of Machine Learning scientists, statisticians, and data scientists to help us discover and define problems, and apply quantitative solutions to problems to impact the core business of Amazon. You will be working with cutting edge technologies that enable big data and parallelizable algorithms. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and working closely with the software development team to put solutions into production.
• Apply business judgement to identify opportunities and develop science strategies
• Work collaboratively and effectively with engineering and business partners to build algorithms and models for demand forecasting
• Lead a team of talented individuals (PhD or MS in Statistics or Machine Learning)
• Hire and grow junior science leaders
• Influence, collaborate, and communicate effectively with other engineering, science, and business leaders
• Communicate scientific solution and insights effectively to a non-scientific audience
· A highly talented technical leader with 10+ years of hands-on experience in building quantitative solutions.
· Several years of experience managing teams of machine learning, data science professionals and/or engineers.
· A PhD/MS degree in a quantitative field, computer science, or equivalent discipline is required.
· The candidate should have good communication skills and good management and leadership experience in applying quantitative solutions.
· Having an ability to explain analytical concepts to a non-technical audience.
· Prototyping skills (e.g., R/Python)
· Ability to clearly communicate high level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including to senior leadership
· Demonstrated ability to design, build, and deliver complex, successful services and/or customer experiences efficiently
· Strong technical foundation with demonstrated willingness and capability to learn new technologies quickly