Artificial intelligence systems can be designed to maximize customer engagement without explicit consideration of social inclusiveness and fairness outcomes. At Amazon, we use machine learning to help millions of customers discover the right products for billions of queries. At this large scale, we believe inclusiveness measurements on the data powering our systems is critical to ensure that our diverse customers are able to find relevant products. We are looking for an Applied Scientist to lead the scientific research of our inclusive search experiences program to make sure that the shopping experience at Amazon speaks to all customers.
As a Scientist, you’ll work with cross-disciplinary teams to ensure that the data-driven models powering shopping experiences deliver an inclusive search experience for all our customers. You will partner with Amazon’s category teams, from fashion and groceries to Kindle books, electronics and advertising. You will partner with the teams that power search relevance, query understanding, browse, and product recommendations.
Successful candidates will have strong judgment and will use data driven methods to identify which opportunities will drive the most impact to our customers and build an inclusive experience. You excel in translating broader business objectives into science formulations, research for potential solutions or invent new solutions for the objective. You strive for simplicity, demonstrate high judgment backed by sound statistical reasoning and robust machine learning models to deliver creative solutions. You do independent research and develop non-trivial Machine Learning solutions. You will thrive in a collaborative, creative, analytical, and fast-paced environment and are comfortable interacting with technical software development teams.
· Advanced degree (e.g., M.S. or PhD) in computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics or relevant discipline
· Professional experience in predictive modeling and analysis
· Hands on experience programming or scripting in R, Java, Python or other similar programming languages
· Experience with machine learning applications
· Experience working with software engineering teams
· Proven problem solving skills, attention to detail, and exceptional organizational skills
· Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives in a fast paced environment
· Experience and passion for working on fairness in artificial intelligence/machine learning systems
· Ability to engage with academic community working on bias and fairness research.
· Proven track in leading, mentoring, and growing teams of scientists
· Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment
· Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data and to communicate high-level concepts effectively to internal and external stakeholders.