The Human Resources Central Science Team (HRCS) uses economics, behavioral science, statistics, and machine learning to proactively identify mechanisms and process improvements which simultaneously improve Amazon and the lives, wellbeing, and the value of work to Amazonians. We are an interdisciplinary team which combines the talents of science and engineering to develop and deliver solutions that measurably achieve this goal.
We are looking for outstanding economists who are able to provide structure around complex business problems, hone those complex problems in to specific, scientific questions, and test those questions to generate insights. The ideal candidate will work with engineers and computer scientists to estimate models and algorithms on large scale data, design pilots and measure their impact, and transform successful prototypes into improved policies and programs at scale. We are looking for creative thinkers who can combine a strong technical economic toolbox with a desire to learn from other disciplines, and who know how to execute and deliver on big ideas as part of an interdisciplinary technical team.
Ideal candidates will work closely with business partners to develop science that solves the most important business challenges. They will work well in a team setting with individuals from diverse disciplines and backgrounds. They will serve as an ambassador for science and a scientific resource for business teams, so that scientific processes permeate throughout the HR organization to the benefit of Amazonians and Amazon. Ideal candidates will own the development of scientific models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation that is necessary for estimating and validating model model. They will work closely with engineering teams to develop scalable data resources to support rapid insights, and take successful models and findings into production as new products and services. They will be customer-centric – clearly communicating scientific approaches and findings to business leaders, listening to and incorporate their feedback, and delivering successful scientific solutions.
1. PhD in economics, finance, quantitative marketing, or related field.
2. 3+ years of relevant, broad research science experience
3. Advanced coding ability in a scripting language such as STATA, R, and python
1. Proven track record in research and solution of business problems leveraging techniques from economics or related disciplines.
2. Demonstrable experience in any of the following areas of applied economics (multiple areas preferred): reduced-form causal analysis, predictive modeling and causal ML algorithms, forecasting, hazard models, health and insurance economics, education economics, labor economics, and behavioral economics, designing and administering large-scale social science surveys.