As the software development manager in the Product Graph team, based in NYC and Seattle, you will play a key role in the establishment of a new platform, with opportunities to create enormous benefit for our customers and Amazon. You will manage the team that takes academic research from theory to production implementation overcoming performance, scalability, and resiliency challenges. You should enjoy optimization through rapid experimentation, have extremely high standards, and strong ability to implement in the face of ambiguity. Expertise in specialized areas such as Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, Graph Processing, Search, or Recommendation Systems is desired.
We seek a creative lead who: (1) is passionate about their work, (2) works well with others, (3) has a positive attitude, and (4) can collaborate closely with the product graph science team and other client teams.
You will lead a talented and nimble team of engineers to design and build several services. Responsibilities include direct management of engineers, processes ensuring quality of software development and releases, strategic planning, project management for software within the team.
You will work closely with the Science Lead and the science team to bring new ML and graph-based algorithms into production.
You will work closely with the product manager to help define the product features, roadmaps, and use cases to deliver services to current and future client teams.
• Manage your group of engineers into a highly performing engineering organization
• Hire and develop top-performing engineers
• Develop and execute on project plans and delivery commitments
• Work with business leaders, science lead, and product managers to help define product requirements and with engineers to execute on them
• Build and maintain world-class customer experience and operational excellence for your deliverables
· 5+ years of software development experience.
· 2+ years of people management experience
· Computer Science fundamentals exeperience
· Experience shipping large complex scalable systems/applications in an agile environment.
· Experience of having worked in at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or C++.
· Experience with professional software engineering best practices such as Agile project management, coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· MS in Computer Science, Math, or Engineering
· Worked on big data projects
· Understanding of and experience with machine learning techniques
· Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced environment – previous startup experience a plus
· An inspirational technical leader with a high emotional intelligence who sets high and exacting standards and demands the best work of their team
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong leadership, project planning and execution skills.
· Ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.