Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
Do you want to work on truly challenging problems that will change the world and bring people together? Join our team of smart, friendly and inventive builders to imagine, create and deliver the next high-profile Amazon camera product. Our cross-functional team brings together engineers and scientists with deep expertise in the different worlds of image quality, algorithm design, embedded software, robotics and depth sensing, optics/photogrammetry, graphics and simulation, and machine learning. Together we have built a vast range of different ground-breaking products - from the Fire Phone, Echo Look, Echo Show, Ring security cameras and the Astro home robot.
What will you help us build?
About the role
Our imaging architects combine a deep knowledge of imaging science with a passion for beautiful images. They have experience of designing ISP algorithms and have brought camera products to market. Working with cross-functional teams they find new ways to solve imaging problems and invent different ways to deliver video experiences using traditional computational imaging and machine learning, both on-device and in the cloud. They lead technical discussions with our vendors and oversee image tuning to ensure the final pipeline meets the customer’s expectations. Designing novel algorithms for implementation in ASIC or software is an important part of the Architect’s role so a deep understanding of system tradeoffs and attention to detail is critical. If this sounds like you, join us to solve these challenges!
The following are required to be successful in this role:
· Experience of ISP architecture(s): functional blocks and data flow
· In-depth understanding of imaging science, digital imaging systems and imaging-system components
· Knowledge of the principles of image quality tuning and testing. Hands-on tuning experience is a bonus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Problem solving and data analysis skills
· Ability to write software (Any of C/C++, Matlab, python or similar)
· Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Imaging science, Optics, Engineering)
Additionally to those above, any of the following qualifications and experience will assist you in this role.
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Experience of working with remote teams and/or cross-functional teams
· Experience with image testing and lab management, test setup and implementation
· Experience in bringing products to market; product development life-cycle
· Experience in manufacturing and factory processes for cameras
· Experience writing production-level embedded software
· Knowledge in any camera/imaging related areas, e.g. any of
· Camera 3A algorithms and control theory
· Android Camera HAL; kernel drivers, V4L2, Gstreamer and UVC
· low-level camera control: MIPI, I2C, SPI and LVDS interfaces
· physical cameras: CMOS, lens actuators, camera characteristics
· principles of computer vision, including machine learning, computational neural networks, deep neural networks and OpenCV
· principles of acceleration and optimization, including GPUs, OpenCL, graphics engines, e.g. Unreal
· Masters or PhD in a technical discipline (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Imaging science, Optics, Engineering)
Like the team and the work but worried you don’t qualify? Talk to us: we have a range of open roles for different skills and levels and we provide excellent training opportunities for you to learn on the job.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.