Are you passionate about conducting research to drive changes and improve the employee experience of a million Amazonians globally? The Organizational Research and Measurement (ORM) team is hiring a Senior Data Scientist to help us lead research initiatives to measure and improve Amazon’s organizational culture as it relates to health and safety of our employees. The role will drive behavioral and organizational changes, support data-driven decision making by business leaders, and facilitate development of innovative products that improve the safety outcomes and overall employee experience in the World Wide Consumer organization.
The candidate will join a diverse team of social scientists, statisticians and computer scientists who are working on science initiatives to optimize the employee experience across the full employee lifecycle, from first contact through exit, through the use of technology and cutting edge social science research.
The ideal candidate should have a strong business acumen as well as a broad technical skillset and flexible analytical approach. This role will need to navigate complex and ambiguous business challenges by asking the right questions, understanding what methodologies to employ, and communicating results to multiple audiences (e.g., technical peers, functional teams, business leaders).
Major responsibilities will include:
· Conduct experimental and quasi-experimental studies to measure the impact of various initiatives and policies on Amazon's safety culture and safety outcomes.
· Query data from multiple sources, perform data cleaning and exploration, and drive advanced statistical analysis.
· Develop high-quality, evidence-based documents that provide insights to business leaders and gain stakeholder buy-in.
· Serve as a subject matter expert on topics related to research design, measurement, and analysis.
· Collaborate with other ORM and Amazon scientists with expertise in areas such as machine learning, econometrics, psychometrics, natural language processing, computer vision, forecasting, and optimization.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 5+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 4+ years working as a Data Scientist
· PhD in Education, Public Policy, Statistics, Marketing, Psychology, Sociology or a related field
· 5+ years conducting end-to-end scientific research in an applied setting (e.g., exploratory data analysis, generating testable hypotheses, developing measurement tools, conducting causal inference, demonstrating impact to stakeholders)
· Demonstrable expertise on research design methodologies for experiments, and quasi-experimental studies
· Proficient with SQL and at least one scripting language (e.g., R, Python)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
· Familiarity with Time Series Analysis and/or Predictive Modeling techniques. Experience will Bayesian methods.
· Prior well-established recognized academic experience, multiple publications in top-tier academic journals
· Experience with qualitative research methodologies such as ethnography, and focus groups
· Familiar with machine learning tools and data infrastructure in Amazon Web Service
· Ability to engage business partners and stakeholders and solve an ambiguous business problems with appropriate choice of data science solutions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.