Millions of Sellers list their products for sale on the Amazon Marketplace. Sellers are a critical part of Amazon’s ecosystem to deliver on our vision of offering the Earth’s largest selection and lowest prices. In this ecosystem, the International Seller Services org (ISS) plays a critical role in enabling Sellers across EU5, China, Japan, Australia, Brazil and Turkey to make their Selection available to customers globally and deliver the experience they have come to expect from Amazon.
ISS is looking for a results driven Economist to join its Econometrics and Science team in Seattle. The Economist will work closely with other research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists to design new frameworks that systematically identify low touch machine driven recommendations that propel seller growth while creating a meaningful economic impact for Amazon. Research science at Amazon is a highly experimental activity, although theoretical analysis and innovation are also welcome. Our economists and scientists work closely with software engineers to put algorithms into practice. They also work on cross-disciplinary efforts with other scientists within Amazon.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
· Model seller behavior, identify success metrics, impacts, and key drivers of seller success
· Conceptualize and lead global research initiatives
· Guide the technical approach for the design and implementation of successful models and algorithms in support of expert cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects
· Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you know how to deliver, and you are deeply quantitative, highly innovative, and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
· PhD in Economics
· 2+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
· Experience hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
· Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Strong research track record.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Preferred specialties in applied micro or empirical IO, but behavioral economists and generalists with broad applied econometric skills are also encouraged to apply.
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged.