Hundreds of millions of customers. Billions of products for sale. Billions of queries and billions of dollars in revenue. The scale and impact of Amazon Search is huge.
The Amazon Search team creates powerful, customer-focused search solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, Amazon Search services go to work. We design, develop, and deploy high performance, fault-tolerant distributed search systems used by millions of Amazon customers every day. We are looking for the right person to join our Search Science team and leverage machine learning (ML) to make Amazon Search feel like a trusted friend that can help customers explore our vast selection and find just the right product.
As a Principal, PMT, you will lead our Search Science teams dream new product visions to delight customers in their shopping missions. You will be a customer obsessed, inventor who can define, build and ship solutions. You like to tackle challenging problems and drive high profile projects and goals.
A successful candidate will be highly analytical, and will work with technical customers to identify and prioritize needs, able to effectively influence up and across the organization, and adept at synthesizing a variety of technologies and capabilities into high quality search experiences customers love.
We are offering an opportunity to partner with machine learning scientists to invent new customer experiences helping our customers have a delightful, personalized shopping experience. You have experience working on search engines and/or recommender systems, but you want to go beyond what most of them can do today.
This is a technical role focusing helping the team focus on programs managing Search initiatives end to end, that’ll delight customers in surprising ways. To be successful, you’ll need customer obsession, the ability to think big, excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to deliver results via a strong bias for action. On a day-to-day basis, you'll be part of a small, close-knit team of product managers, developers, and applied scientists who innovate on customer experiences in an agile, highly collaborative manner. You will invent scalable, end-to-end shopping experiences at Amazon. The outcome of your hard work will be a delightful shopping experience for our customers.
Joining this team, you’ll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), Earth's most customer-centric company and one of the world's leading internet companies. We provide a highly customer-centric, team-oriented environment in our offices located in Palo Alto, California.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
· At least 10 years of experience working in a software development organization that builds large-scale distributed systems.
· At least 7 years of recent experience as Technical Product Manager, or Technical Lead.
· At least 7 years of recent domain experience in and/or direct exposure to any of the following: Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Search, e-Commerce.
· Ability to write simple scripts using Python.
· At least 5 years of experience with SQL and data exploration skills
· Ability to travel to Seattle, WA about 10% of the time
· MBA or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
· Experience communicating with customers, technical teams (science and engineering teams), and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
· Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. A willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a proven track record of shipping software quickly then iterating on the experience
· Experience with customer development and validating products through customer feedback
· Polished communication and leadership skills, with the ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, and focus. Ability to convey concepts and considerations to non-experts, and be comfortable presenting to senior leaders at Amazon.
· Strong professional etiquette and ability to resolve conflict.
· Ability to understand complex technical subjects, and technologies, highly scalable distributed systems.
· Good understanding of Machine Learning algorithms, especially Deep Learning.
· Excellent business writing skills relating to product life cycle including product roadmap, business requirements and functional specifications