The Amazon Air Science and Technology team is seeking a Data Scientist to be part of a team solving complex aviation operations problems to reduce cost and improve performance. This is a blue-sky role that gives you a chance to bring optimization modeling, statistical modeling, machine learning advancements to data analytics for customer-facing solutions in complex industrial settings.
You will work closely with product, research science and technical leaders throughout Amazon Air, Amazon Delivery Technology and Supply Chain Optimization and will be responsible for influencing funding decisions in areas of investment that you identify as critical future product offerings. You will partner with software developers and data scientists to build end-to-end data pipelines and production code, and you will have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business. You will analyze large amounts of business data, build the machine learning or optimization models that will enable us to continually delight our customers worldwide.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Science work, business analytics and have the aptitude to incorporate new approaches and methodologies while dealing with ambiguities. Excellent business and communication skills are a must to develop and define key business questions and to build data sets that answer those questions. You should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges. Further, you must have the ability to build and communicate compelling value propositions, and work across the organization to achieve consensus. This role requires a strong passion for customers, a high level of comfort navigating ambiguity, and a keen sense of ownership and drive to deliver results.
· Utilize code (Python, R, Scala, etc.) for analyzing data and building statistical models to solve specific business problems.
· Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
· Collaborate with researchers, software developers, and business leaders to define product requirements and provide analytical support
· Directly contribute to the design and development of automated selection systems
· Build customer-facing reporting tools to provide insights and metrics which track system performance
· Communicate verbally and in writing to business customers and leadership team with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and recommendations
· Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related quantitative field
· 5+ years of working experience as a Data Scientist
· Proficient with data analysis and modeling software such as Spark, R, Python etc.
· Proficient with using scripting language such as Python and data manipulation/analysis libraries such as Scikit-learn and Pandas for analyzing and modeling data.
· Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems.
· Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL and databases in a business environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication.
· Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
· Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
· Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related quantitative field
· 5+ years’ experience as a Data Scientist.
· Fluency in a scripting or computing language (e.g. Python, Scala, C++, Java, etc.)
· Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to scientists, engineering teams and business audiences.
· Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, ability to self-motivate, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our and our customer’s organizations
· Experience in airline or related industry a plus