Amazon Science gives you insight into the company’s approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It’s the company’s ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information.
At Alexa Shopping, we strive to enable shopping in everyday life. We allow customers to instantly order whatever they need, by simply interacting with their Smart Devices such as Amazon Show, Spot, Echo, Dot or Tap. Our Services allow you to shop, no matter where you are or what you are doing, you can go from 'I want that' to 'that's on the way' in a matter of seconds. We are seeking the industry's best to help us create new ways to interact, search and shop. Join us, and you'll be taking part in changing the future of everyday life.
What you will do: You will lead a team of talented and experienced scientists and engineers that implement solutions for natural language understanding of Alexa Shopping customers: this involves taking the outputs from automated speech recognition (ASR) component and producing a representation of its meaning. Additionally, your team will build Alexa Shopping Automated CX quality metrics and provide analytics. This involves exploring, developing, socializing, and implementing mechanisms for tracking automated CX quality across customer’s journey with Alexa Shopping to improve Alexa Shopping CX. And finally, you will have the satisfaction of being able to look back and say you were a key contributor to something special from its earliest stages. You will be working closely with executive leadership, multiple product managers and leaders from partner teams in Amazon Retail, Alexa, and Speech Recognition teams.
What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Data Science Manager with a strong technical background and solid people management skills to build, manage and develop a highly-talented and experienced data science team. We are seeking leaders that can guide technical and product innovation in the areas of voice experiences, machine learning models and the distributed systems to bring our vision together. Strong judgment and communication skills, long term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for the success in this role.
· Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· Experience leading and launching ML projects.
· 8+ years of work experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning, search or personalization- related problems, and large scale simulation.
· Experience in managing and quantifying improvement in multiple business areas resulting from business analytics, optimization techniques, and/or statistical modeling.
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet engineering needs.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
· Knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance
· Knowledge of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
· A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· Experience with spoken language understanding systems.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities, especially with cross-disciplinary efforts.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Project management experience.
· Experience with data engineers or business analysts in Big Data analytics
· A good understanding of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity
· Expertise in prototyping and scripting languages (R, Perl or Python) with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
· Proficiency in one or more languages other than English.
· Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle)