Prime Video is changing traditional media with an ever-increasing selection of movies, TV shows, Emmy Award winning original content, add-on subscriptions including HBO, and live events like Thursday Night Football. Our architecture operates at exabyte-scale, engineered for reliability, scalability, and performance. Prime Video runs on thousands of device types in over 200 territories worldwide.
The Playback Optimization team designs, implements and operates the services and systems responsible for Optimizing and delivering video content to all Prime video customers. Our services and systems are invoked every time our customers click play on the thousands of device types supported by Prime Video in over 240 territories worldwide. We direct gigabits of video data across the Internet every second and ensure that our customers receive the best Optimized playback experience possible.
As a Senior applied scientist on our team you will wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that’s more startup than big company. We’ll need to tackle complex problems that span a variety of domains: Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, Natural Language processing, real-time and distributed systems and help us build services and systems from ground up which scale and serve billions of requests per day, with obsessively high reliability and low operational overhead. You will have an opportunity to explore, innovate, invent and simplify various Playback state-of-art Optimization services and algorithms which leverage both custom and Industry proven Machine Learning, Natural Language processing and Artificial Intelligence technologies. Your work will focus on training and evaluating models and deploying them to production where we continuously monitor and evaluate. You will work on large engineering efforts that solve significantly complex problems facing global customers. You will be trusted to operate with independence and are often assigned to focus on areas with significant impact on audience satisfaction. You must be equally comfortable digging in to customer requirements as you are drilling into design with development teams and developing production ready learning models. You consistently bring strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions. We experiment a lot and it is a must to learn and be curios. You will be encouraged to see the big picture, be innovative, and positively impact millions of customers.
Successful candidates have a background in modern programming languages, distributed system design, service-oriented architecture, and high scalability. Experience in advanced machine learning technologies and Artificial intelligence is a big plus. Equally important is the ability to multi-task, invent, create reliable and maintainable code, and find creative, scalable solutions to difficult problems.
You'll work with experienced managers who'll care for you. We'll guide you on your career growth path and there's no shortage of technical challenges.
We're building a new and ground-breaking technology from the ground-up to deliver spectacular Optimized video Playback experience to our customers for big live events such as English Premier League and the US Open.
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art machine learning technologies
· 3+ industry experience in Deep learning in computer vision, speech processing/synthesis, or natural language processing\understanding
· Strong algorithm development experience
· Skills with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
· 10+ years of relevant experience in industry and/or academia.
· Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals in one of those areas ( computer vision, image processing, or natural language processing\understanding, deep learning)
· Proven track record of innovation in creating novel algorithms and advancing the state of the art
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.