Are you excited by the prospect of solving some of the hardest and most valued technical challenges of cloud computing? Do you want to apply your deep analytical and engineering skills to the space of highly-available replicated databases? Come join us in Amazon RDS and help us innovate with always-on databases in the AWS cloud!
The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the largest cloud database businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are handled in an automated fashion by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. The systems we build manage huge numbers of databases and vast amounts of storage across multiple datacenters world-wide, and our service is growing rapidly, requiring constant innovations in our systems in order to handle the next order of magnitude in service scale.
RDS provides customers with databases that have multiple-nines of durability and availability. Achieving this level of reliability requires building control and monitoring systems that automatically detect and handle many types of failures within seconds, and data replication options that accommodate various geographical distribution and disaster recovery objectives. The challenge is further heightened by needing to handle huge numbers of databases, multiple database engines (RDS supports MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MariaDB, and Amazon Aurora), and a wide variety of customer workloads.
We are looking for a Software Engineer with a passion to provide great customer experience and who loves to dive in to solve complex problems around performance, timing, state machine logic and distributed systems algorithms. If you'd like to be a part of creating always-on databases in the AWS cloud, this is the job for you!
For more information on RDS, please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/rds
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or four years of equivalent professional experience
· Masters or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Experience with Aurora, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL or another major SQL database
· Familiarity with more than one SDLC process, language, framework, platform and environment and are capable of diving into the deepest parts of technologies when called for
· Understanding of networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same
· Good understanding of web services, virtualization, SQL, Git, networking, and distributed systems
· Experience building and operating large-scale online services and fault-tolerant distributed systems
· Knowledge of OS and Database engine internals
· Proficient in Ruby, Python, PowerShell, or similar scripting languages
· Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
· Knowledge of rapidly-evolving Agile development environments
· Understanding of and experience with common bug / task tracking, requirements tracking, traceability and test automation tools
· Ability to rapidly absorb and comprehend software and systems
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.