Please note: This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
The AWS Security Systems Operations team is hiring a cleared Senior Systems Engineer to support cloud security services for the U.S. Intelligence Community. Our team is tasked with protecting the AWS infrastructure that is used by our National Security customers. Join our mission to help lead, deploy, and support the security systems that raise the security bar for the U.S. Government.
As a Systems Engineer on our team, you will be instrumental in managing the operational load to scale a massive & always-on distributed system, proactively automating away problems in order to improve the quality of service for our security operations customers.
If you thrive in operating complex systems, diagnosing and resolving the hardest corner case operations problems, please apply! Our systems engineers don't just solve problems - we look to engineer services to scale with lots of automation, decreasing effort along the way. We know that the really interesting problems are hiding inside this automation challenge.
You'll work side-by-side with our security engineers and service development teams to deploy and maintain the security information and event management (SIEM) platform they use every day. We have a lot of log data to process and we need your help! You'll implement mechanisms to drive our availability metrics up and our latency metrics down. We're need you to "think big" and ensure that we're set up to scale for the future. We need you to Invent and Simplify new operational tools to improve the velocity of our Security Operations service customers.
If you join our team, you will...
· Operate within the team of peer engineers with little direct oversight to solve complex systems engineering problems.
· Provide guidance on system architecture and recommend solutions in alignment with systems engineering best practices.
· Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical system failures in high pressure situations to reduce Mean Time to Failure (MTTR)
· Engineer Operational Improvements to reduce operational efforts to Keep the Lights On.
· Troubleshoot unknown-unknown problems into known-known root causes using your holistic knowledge of systems to break the problem down and isolate the cause(s); then drive them to resolution
We're not looking for hands or button pressers -- we're looking for motivated individuals who want to scale security systems and change the way the business operates as a result. You need to be open to new challenges and willing to learn new technologies. In addition to using internal Amazon tooling, we are huge advocates for using public AWS services to build our platform, You should always be thinking, "how could this work without me involved" and then working to build those tools to achieve it.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
We're dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
For further inquiries about this role, please contact Olivia Black at email@example.com
· Bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science, or equivalent work experience.
· 4+ years of Linux System Administration & Engineering experience in a large-scale, mission-critical system, mechanizing Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OA&M) with Bash or Python
· Deep understanding networking (TCP, UDP, DNS, etc) and network troubleshooting of systems
· 3 or more years of working within a DevOps team with CI/CD, Code and Configuration management tools following industry standard software development life cycle practices
· Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI with Polygraph
· Experience as a system administrator for a Splunk cluster, or similar SIEM platforms. Bonus points if you are a Splunk Enterprise Certified Admin.
· Deep understanding of architecting systems within AWS. Bonus points if you've got one of the AWS certifications, like Solutions Architect - Associate or SysOps Administrator - Associate or Developer - Associate.
· Basic understanding of security concepts, including encryption and application security best practices.
· An interest in learning more about security operations and incident response.
· A sense of humor! We work hard to raise the security bar for our customers, but we also know how to laugh.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.