Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon and when that box with the smile arrives you wonder how it got to you so fast? Wondered where it came from and how much it would have cost Amazon? If so, Amazon’s Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) team is for you. We build systems to peer into the future and estimate the distribution of tens of millions of products every week to Amazon’s warehouses in the most cost-effective way. When customers place orders, our systems use real time, large scale optimization techniques to optimally choose where to ship from and how to consolidate multiple orders so that customers get their shipments on time or faster with the lowest possible transportation costs. This team is focused on saving hundreds of millions of dollars using cutting edge science, machine learning, and scalable distributed software on the Cloud that automates and optimizes inventory and shipments to customers under the uncertainty of demand, pricing and supply.
Fulfillment-by-Amazon (FBA) Inventory Technology (FIT) at Amazon’s Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) focuses on driving long term free cash flow by automating and optimizing our third-party supply chain. The team’s efforts will address the key challenges facing the worldwide FBA Seller business, including 1) improving FBA Seller inventory efficiency, 2) efficiently balancing the supply and demand of FBA Seller capacity, 3) closing worldwide selection gap by enabling global selling profitability, and 4) driving out costs across the FBA supply chain to spin the flywheel. This is truly a unique problem space – optimizing for inventory in Amazon’s pipeline when you don’t control the process or own the inventory.
FIT is looking for a result driven Economist to join its science team in Seattle. The position offers an opportunity to apply the frontier of econometrics and economic theory to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, and other areas. You will work closely with other research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists to build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast-moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company.
If you are a visionary with a passion for seeing economic principles come alive in large datasets, apply today! We will consider strong candidates with more experience for senior economist (L6) position.
· PhD in Economics , Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related field.
· 2+ years of working experience in data science..
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged. We consider strong candidate for senior economist position (L6) as well.
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Experience in implementing modern machine-learning methods (e.g., boosted regression trees, random forests, neural networks)
· Coding ability in Python.
· Strong research track record
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills with ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders, financial analysts, and product managers
· Experienced in STATA, Python, and SQL
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us