Amazon Region Services team is looking for a Data Scientist to lead the research and thought leadership to drive our data and insights strategy for Amazon Region Services. We develop sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of data. You will be responsible for researching, experimenting and analyzing predictive and optimization models.
You will provide to engineers, direction on technology strategy in data management, insights and Machine learning that will form the nucleus of providing data and insights as a service to our customers. You will work on ambiguous and complex business and research science problems with large opportunities.
You are an individual with outstanding analytical abilities and comfortable working with cross-functional teams and systems. You must be a self-starter and be able to learn on the go. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as you will work very closely with diverse teams.
· Interact with business and software teams to understand their business requirements and operational processes
· Frame business problems into scalable solutions
· Adapt existing and invent new techniques for solutions
· Create and track accuracy and performance metrics
· Gather data required for analysis and model building
· Prototype models by using high-level modeling languages such as R or in software languages such as Python. A software team will be working with you to transform prototypes into production.
· Interview, mentor, and develop scientists and engineers across the organization
· Create, enhance, and maintain technical documentation
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen.
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as R, Python, Matlab
· Working knowledge of SQL
· Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop/Hive.
· Bachelor's Degree in an engineering or technical field, preferably in Machine Learning, Data Science, Applied Mathematics or related field with 8+ years of industry experience in Data Science or similar field
· Master's Degree in an engineering or technical field, preferably in Machine Learning, Data Science, Applied Mathematics or related field with 4+ years of industry experience in Data Science or similar field
· PhD in an engineering or technical field, preferably in Machine Learning, Data Science, Applied Mathematics or related field.
· Strong communication, influencing and partnership skills
· Extensive experience building predictive and optimization models
· Expert knowledge in at least one of following fields: machine learning, operations research, data science research
· Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as R, SAS, Matlab or other statistical software
· Ability to do statistical modeling.
· Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
· Experience designing and supporting large-scale distributed systems in a production environment
· Natural curiosity and desire to learn
· Expertise in developing solutions to anomaly detection problems
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Scott Korkowski (email@example.com) if you have questions.
**For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com.**
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.