Are you deeply curious about quantum computing? Are you a good writer? If so, you might be interested in a position as a Sr. Programmer Writer at Amazon Web Services (AWS).
As an AWS Programmer Writer, you will have the opportunity to work with a talented technical team to produce technical documentation in a cross-functional, distributed environment. Amazon.com is committed to being a leader in the web services marketplace, and one of the key measures of success is how well we support the developers who use AWS products. The documentation team plays a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly and making sure that the details of our products are clearly described and easy to understand.
We are looking for an individual who can help our team expand out materials around AWS quantum computing service, Amazon Braket.
· You will work closely with engineers and scientists to transform complex concepts into customer focused technical and educational materials that are helpful for both quantum research and quantum curious customer.
· In your day-to-day you will deal with an ambiguous and nascent technology space. You are able to design, deliver and evolve a content roadmap for an existing product, in an evolving space. You can deliver independently, with limited guidance.
· You are capable of building technical content for complex technologies for products or scenarios. Develop scripts, sample code, or technical procedures that are correct, appropriate for the audience and task, and easy to use.
· Your primary sphere of impact is product CX but may include influencing UX design, roadmap priorities, and engineering team goals.
Specifically you will:
· Balance creating content for a wide range of personas (technically deep academic researchers, corporate AWS users viewing this as a element in their existing AWS solution, the quantum curious who are learning about quantum)
· Develop introductory and advanced domain-specific content for our public repositories (readthedocs, marketing-like landing page) ~ 50%
· Provide code sample content that helps users learn about the service ~ 25%
· Write developer guide ~ 15%
· Write and/or review console content (device cards, warning messages, announcements, etc) ~10%
· Develop a front end or style sheet for documentation presented in readthedocs
· Lead our engagement model within the open source community (responding to forum questions, devising a strategy for building up our open source contributors)
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· Subject-matter expertise in a technical domain and experience with technical writing
· Proven record of managing multifaceted, global content projects with tight deadlines
· Proven record of writing SDK documentation
· Proven record of working with XML, markdown, Sphinx and RST for developing documentation
· Proven record of working with version control (preferably GitHub)
· Abilities to read, edit maintain code in Python
· Experience using content publishing tools to write, format, manage, and publish high-quality content
· Familiarity with using and following a style guide
· Experience with cloud computing/web services or related areas
· Familiarity with Jupyter notebooks
· Degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field
· Domain knowledge about quantum computing or machine learning
· Familiarity with AWS services
· Proven track record of measuring and increasing engagement of a diverse set of assets like open source repositories
· Experience generating competitive analysis to inform our content strategy
· Experience working with markdown, asciidoc or similar
· Experience blogging or writing for technical audience
· Experience creating websites
· Experience fixing customer tickets, GitHub pull requests and issues, or an equivalent workflow for incident management
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit