We are looking for a strategic, innovative science leader within Amazon Fulfillment Technology organization to lead an interdisciplinary team charged with developing new, data-driven solutions to model, optimize and automate decisions, while applying computer vision, machine learning & robotics to simplify operations in our rapidly growing fulfillment network.
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates software, hardware, and the processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers that move billions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when promised. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
In this role you will lead multiple Research teams across the disciplines of Operations Research, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Forecasting & Hardware prototyping. You will interface with multiple business leaders and help develop a strategic research roadmap partnering with engineering leaders across different organizations to deliver the research in production.
Successful candidates will have an established background in data-driven research and experience in managing technical expertise in the field of science, engineering, and proven track record of managing and delivering mission critical large scale programs in areas such as: Supply Chain Management, Economics, Optimization, Operations Research, Computer Vision, and Machine learning.
· 10+ years of relevant, broad research science experience after PhD degree or equivalent in a highly quantitative field (e.g. Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science)
· Experience leading development of complex production models used in business operations
· 8+ years of people management experience
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
· Experience implementing algorithms, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets.
· Strong research track record
· Practical experience developing large-scale decision support tools based on optimization technology for planning and execution support (e.g., scheduling)
· Familiarity with forecasting and time series analysis
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation