The Amazon Device and Services Design Group (DDG) creates revolutionary products used by millions of customers around the world every day - including Echo, Fire TV, Alexa Communications, and more. Within DDG, the DDG Research team is one of the behind-the-scenes teams that enables Amazon’s Devices’ leaders to make informed decisions based on sound mixed-method research and analytics. We are seeking an exceptional Research Scientist to join our team to help us derive insights that serve our customers. If you are inquisitive, passionate about how research can improve decision making, enjoy weaving data into a telling story, and like your research to have real world impact, we want you on our team.
As a successful Research Scientist, you:
· Are enthusiastic about collaborating with a cross-functional team of UX designers, researchers (qualitative and quantitative), business partners, design technologists, and developers to provide actionable insights.
· Demonstrate excellent statistical skills and are excited about learning new methods.
· Are naturally curious about people, especially their motivations, attitudes, and behaviors.
· Excel when interacting with business and technical partners whether you are chatting, sending a written message, writing a technical report, or conducting a presentation.
· Enjoy working with stakeholders to define their key business needs and deliver on those commitments.
· Innovate on behalf of your customers by proactively implementing improvements and taking steps to address challenges that they had not yet identified.
· Are drawn to ambiguous, complex problems.
· Surface and question both your own and others’ underlying assumptions.
· Persuade decision makers at all levels of the organization to take aligned action on research findings – inspire and help them internalize opportunities to delight our customers and differentiate our service.
· Define, execute, and invent research methods appropriate to the questions at hand, including but not limited to field research, surveys, lab studies, remote testing, and A-B tests.
· PhD or equivalent Master's degree plus 4+ years of research experience in a quantitative field
· Experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principals and concepts to business problems and products
· Track record of sense checking and managing multiple data sources, quantitative modeling, and hypothesis testing.
· Proven written and verbal communication skills to convey experiments and analyses to non-expert business partners.
· Robust understanding of the strengths and limitations of experimental design, quasi-experimental design, and field research.
· Experience using mixed methods to surface and communicate findings.
· Fluency in R, Python, or a similar modeling language.
· Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
· Strong problem-solving ability.
· Track record consulting with non-research experts in formulating and addressing research questions.
· Technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization.
· Ability to navigate conflicting priorities, weigh trade-offs, define worthwhile research, and mitigate project risks within ambiguous problem space(s).
· Natural curiosity to learn about new tools and technologies and ability to innovate based on learning.
· 2 years of industry research experience into customer attitudes and behavior.
· Skill in use of data analysis, data visualization, and knowledge management tools a plus (e.g., Tableau).
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.