Amazon's Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) group is looking for a Data Scientist to optimize one of the most complex logistics systems in the world. Academic and/or practical background in Machine Learning, Operations Research, Systems Engineering and Optimization, or Process Control are particularly relevant for this position. Experience in model-based engineering and/or multidisciplinary analysis & optimization is also a plus.
Amazon’s extensive logistics system comprises thousands of fixed infrastructure nodes with millions of possible connections between them. Billions of packages flow through this network on a yearly basis, making the impact of optimal improvements truly unparalleled. This magnificent challenge is a terrific opportunity to understand, model, simulate, optimize, and reshape one of the world's most complex systems.
You will make the real complexity of our logistics system visible, tangible, and manageable using cutting edge analytical methods. You will use modeling and simulation to validate assumptions on the intricate interactions among different elements of our system. You will identify and evaluate opportunities to improve customer experience, network speed, cost, and the efficiency of capital investment. You will develop system components using optimization, simulation, and machine learning techniques. You will quantify the improvements resulting from the application of these tools and you will evaluate trade-offs between competing outputs of the system.
This position requires drive and self-motivation, superior analytical thinking, data-driven disposition, and application of technical knowledge to a business context. It also requires effective collaboration with fellow scientists, software development engineers, and product managers. Effective communication of technical designs to technical and non-technical audiences, and close partnership with many stakeholders from operations, finance, IT, and business leadership is also required.
We are a key part of Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwsr1Of6Cw&feature=youtu.be
· Bacelors's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Economics or a related field
· 5+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications
· Practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, Linear Programming/Optimization, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval, NLP, deep learning
· Functional knowledge of AWS platforms such as S3, Glue, Athena, Sagemaker
· Experience in programming in R, Python, Scala or similar languages and maintaining shared code repositories
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
· Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
· A Master/PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· 2+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications
· A proven record of innovation and driving critical research in Applied Optimization in industry, government, or military
· Experience developing intricate systems, including establishing target system results and operation tolerances, developing a system design, analyzing this design use in relation to the function of the elements in the system, developing system prototypes, and testing and validating the developed design to quantify its value
· Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do never-give-up attitude