We are looking for a Data Scientist to help Amazon Search NLP to build an Search evaluation data set. It is a short (5-month) full-time job starting ASAP. We are looking for an individual interested in search and search relevance (quality), with the patience to analyze hundreds of queries and search results, and with the ingenuity to propose new leads. The work is likely to lead to a publication and the creation of a public dataset, which could be well cited. Basic coding and data manipulation skills are required, as well as some experience analyzing data qualitatively and English writing skills. Background in IR theory or ML is not necessary.
A typical day may consist of:
· Manually Evaluate queries and query search results, annotating them with information about query types, relevance, issues, etc.
· Write simple Python notebook code to sample data, to compute evaluation metrics, etc.
· Write documentation describing the datasets and their statistics.
· Design new experiments, query types, and mechanisms for sampling and evaluating.
The Search NLP team is responsible for developing and deploying state of the art machine learning and NLP models to extract semantic information from product search queries, item descriptions, reviews, and many other sources of information created by millions of Amazon customers each day. You will be working alongside world-class scientists and engineers to build next generation search systems.
Amazon Science (www.amazon.science) gives you insight into the company’s approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It’s the company’s ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in data analysis for large scale applications
- 1+ years hands-on experience in Python, Perl, Scala, Java, C#, C++ or other similar languages
- Experience in designing experiments and statistical analysis of results.
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to convey mathematical results to non-science stakeholders. Strength in clarifying and formalizing complex problems.
- Ph.D. (or enroled in PhD program) in Search, Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, or a related quantitative field.
- 1+ years of practical industry experience in Search, Data Analysis, or Information Retrieval.
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts and algorithms,
- A passion for innovation
- Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your beliefs clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.