Do you want to build and lead a team that makes life better for engineers and raises the bar for security at AWS? At Amazon Web Services (AWS), Security is our highest priority. The Secure All the Things (SAT2) team is responsible for defining and driving large initiatives that raise the security bar for AWS. We are looking for a leader who can build and grow a team of data professionals to design and build innovative enhancements that deliver a world-class experience when it comes to accessing and working with large amounts of data.
Who we are: Our team drives large scale, long-term programs across all of AWS. We focus on the really big initiatives that require new-thinking, innovative solutions, and culture changes. Our work raises the bar for how AWS employees interact with resources, systems, and data.
Who you are: You are a creative, collaborative leader who likes to be close to the details - including your customers, your team, your data, and the new systems you build. You're a manager who is excited to build and grow and team of data professionals, establish the roadmap for the team, and prioritize the work to deliver the best results for your customers. You're inspired and motivated to build a team of people who can and will exercise their creativity in problem solving at AWS scale.
What you will do: You will have the opportunity to build a new team focused on delivering scalable, resilient, and reliable data infrastructure to support SAT2, AWS Security, and our AWS service teams efforts to continuously raise the security bar. This team is not fully staffed, so you'll have the chance to shape the skills and culture of the team. We have identified the need, but there is a lot of ambiguity in what we need to build out to support those goals; you'll have the opportunity to shape the team, the roadmap, the processes, and interact with your customers to learn how to solve their challenges.
Why it matters: AWS Security has a lot of experience working across AWS to identify threats and solutions to security challenges at scale. We want to continue to strengthen the security flywheel through programs and mechanisms that help our engineers build securely as simply as possible.
Why you'll love it: We are working on really hard problems and moving very fast. Starting with a few good engineers, you'll continue building a team of bright, creative people. You will have support from your leadership, and you'll own your space. You will be the one identifying solutions, trying ideas, given space to fail and iterate to produce the right results that your customers love. You will have opportunities to grow and learn as a leader in AWS, to build and develop a team, and you'll be able to collaborate and with your customers to define and achieve success.
Inclusive Team Culture: Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Work/Life Balance: Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth: Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field such as math, computer science, engineering, finance, statistics
· 3+ years leading engineering teams to deliver the infrastructure to manage, ingest, transform, process large data sets
· 3+ years leading engineering teams to develop and produce critical telemetry for complex business areas
· 7+ years of experience with BI tools & architecture; highly numerate and data literate
· 7+ years of experience using SQL, ETL, and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Master’s degree in a quantitative field such as math, computer science, engineering, finance, statistics
· Experience with Amazon Redshift, EMR, Athena, S3 and other AWS technologies
· Excellent analytical skills, a passion for metrics and figures and the ability to get into the details, while also seeing and understanding the big picture
· Ability to develop or guide others in developing experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, and ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations.
· Demonstrated ability to convey complex concepts and considerations to non-experts
· Ability to drive cross-functional teams to implement scalable solutions, delivering multiple projects to agreed deadlines
· Experience with R, Python, or another scripting language
· Experience with Agile methodologies and framework
· Experience handling confidential data
· Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle)
· Project management experience, working with technology and product managers to drive technology roadmaps
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .