The Alexa Speech team is behind the science and technology that powers Alexa’s ability to understand spoken language. Our mission is to push the envelope in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) and Natural Language Understanding (NLU) in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As Applied Science Manager you will lead a team of talented scientists in the invention, design, development of novel ML algorithms and modeling techniques for advancing speech and language technology, testing, and deployment of technology components, supporting a range of products. The responsibilities include the strategic aspects of setting long term research directions as well as the tactical aspects of addressing customer pain points, setting priorities, and driving the design, development, and deployment of new technology. You will have an opportunity to impact customer experience through design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge technology in the products used every day by people you know.
We’re looking for a passionate, talented and inventive Applied Science Manager to lead a team of world-class scientists. As an Applied Science Manager, you will be responsible for:
· Managing the day-to-day activities of the research team and providing technical and scientific guidance to researchers
· Developing technical vision and roadmaps for new initiatives and conducting strategic planning and project management
· Staying up-to-date with trends, papers, and academia
· Analyzing customer data and addressing customer pain points
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from research teams, software engineering teams, and other technical and business teams
· Building strong relationship and collaborating with other teams across Alexa to deliver solutions effectively
· Hiring, coaching and developing world-class scientists in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
· Establishing and enhancing mechanisms to enable the team to innovate and deliver solutions in an agile and timely manner
The successful candidate will have an established background in defining metrics, building ML models, a strong technical ability, demonstrated experience in people management, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· PhD and 5+ years of related work experience
· Deep knowledge of and experience with speech and language technologies
· Research track record with peer-reviewed publications in academic conferences and journals in the related areas
· Demonstrated leadership abilities
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· PhD degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or mathematics
· More than 5 years of industrial/academic experience in building speech recognition and/or natural language processing systems (e.g. commercial products or government projects)
· Demonstrated experience to manage an industrial research team for at least 3 years
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Solid track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field