The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist. You will join a multi-disciplinary team of theoretical and experimental physicists, materials scientists, and hardware and software engineers working at the forefront of quantum technologies.
Responsibilities include the optimization of quantum communication devices, protocol development for AWS infrastructure, research into use cases for advanced quantum communications protocols and integration with quantum computation objectives.
You have a strong background at the intersection of theoretical and experimental quantum communications protocols. We are looking for an understanding of the challenges involved in the transition from theoretical formulations to experimental implementations. You would bring a strong familiarity with advanced use cases, resourcefulness and a bias for action, superior problem solving and excellent communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential. As a research scientist you will be expected to work on new ideas and stay abreast of the field of theoretical and experimental quantum communication, serving as a bridge between experimental and theoretical groups.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Postgraduate degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering or other technical degree relevant to quantum information
· Expertise in two or more of the following: quantum optics, optical networking, network security, quantum information protocols, cryptography
· Familiarity with the hardware implementations of quantum key distribution
· Expertise with QKD setups
· Proficient in a scientific programming environment (for example, one or more of Julia, Python, Mathematica, MATLAB)
· Experience in interfacing with government agencies
· International exposure to the quantum information community
· Experience in a startup or new launch initiative within an existing organization
· Understanding of security proof in quantum key distribution protocols
· Effective working in a team environment with other engineers, scientists and technicians who have a wide range of technical skill levels
· Comfortable working in a diverse group with a geographically distributed team and contributing to an inclusive culture
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation