The Automated Reasoning Group in AWS Platform is looking for an Applied Scientist with experience in building secure, scalable solutions that delight customers. You will be part of a world-class team building the next generation of automated reasoning tools and services. You will apply your knowledge to propose solutions, create software prototypes, and productize prototypes into production systems using software development tools and methodologies. In addition, you will support and scale your solutions to meet the ever-growing demand of customer use. You have strong verbal and written communication skills, are self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
Each day, hundreds of thousands of developers make billions of transactions worldwide on AWS. They harness the power of the cloud to enable innovative applications, websites, and businesses. Using automated reasoning technology and mathematical proofs, AWS allows customers to answer questions about security, availability, durability, and functional correctness. We call this provable security, absolute assurance in security of the cloud and in the cloud. https://aws.amazon.com/security/provable-security/
As an applied scientist on team, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of product features from beginning to end. You will:
· Research algorithms in code-level automated reasoning involving the Rust and C languages to scale automated proofs of AWS code
· Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
· Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables
· Prove properties of business-critical software and systems software
· Work in an agile, startup-like development environment, where you are always working on the most important stuff
· Work with the team to help drive business decisions
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Inclusion and Diversity
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon’s 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
· M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
· At least 5 years of industrial/academic experience in formal verification, program analysis, constraint-solving, and/or theorem proving
· At least 5 years of experience with programming languages such as Java, Scala, C/C++, Ruby, or Python and open-source technologies
· At least 5 years of experience in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
· Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
· Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
· Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties gracefully
· At least 2 years of experience using the Rust language
· At least 5 years of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience developing/modifying compilers
· Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
· Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Please email any questions to AWS Recruiter Leah Fitzgerald (email@example.com)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/”