Since its launch in 2014, Amazon Music has seen explosive user growth driven by integration with the highly successful Amazon Prime subscription program and Alexa voice-enabled devices. We are looking for a truly innovative Economist to work on disruptive ideas within the Amazon Music space. The role offers a unique opportunity to work in a fast growing Digital business on a central economist team focused on strategic and high-impact analysis for the business.
A day in the life
In this role, you will own one or more models that measure and predict the value that the business creates (or the value of new opportunities) for our customers. You will be involved in all stages of the model life-cycle, from ideation to production. The successful candidate will work closely with stakeholders and translate data-driven findings into actionable insights. Our customers are Finance and Business leaders in the Music space who are looking for strategic insights on new investment opportunities, content investments and new feature launches.
About the hiring group
The Music Economist team is responsible for delivering transformational customer insights that drive marketing, content and product strategy for the Amazon Music streaming service. Team members are expected to independently own high-impact analysis which is presented to senior level business stakeholders. On the team, you will work with a high degree of independence in a collaborative environment of economists and other scientists, product managers, data engineers and software developers.
· Build scalable analytic solutions using state of the art tools based on large datasets
· Build econometric models, conduct statistical/machine learning analyses, or design experiments to measure the value of the business and its many features
· Independently identify new opportunities for leveraging economic insights and models in the Music business
· Develop and execute science products from concept, prototype to production incorporating feedback from customers, scientists and business leaders
· Write both technical white papers and business-facing documents to clearly explain complex technical concepts to audiences with diverse business/scientific backgrounds
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Ph.D. in economics or highly related finance field
· 2+ years work experience in applied statistics, econometrics, or consulting
· Experience with consumer-level data analysis
· Experience with program evaluation methodologies such as propensity-score matching and synthetic control
· Experience working with tech teams to launch production models and to conduct experiments at scale
· Experience in working with big datasets.
· Proficiency in one or more production languages (Python, Scala, Java, C++)
· Experience in using one of Stata, R, or Python is required
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us