Our Senior Operations Managers play a crucial role in exceeding expectations and providing a superb customer experience; critical to Amazon’s success which is built on a foundation of customer obsession, and innovation. This position is a multi-faceted role requiring the ability to balance strategy and execution. The Senior Operations Manager is responsible for all aspects of the operations of a Sort Center including, people management and development, process, and meeting or exceeding the expectations and promise made to our customers. You will lead a dynamic team of Operations and Area Managers to achieve operational excellence through coaching and mentoring the team; driving employee engagement, and building leadership bench strength within the Sort Center
As a senior leader you will oversee salaried and hourly employees, in a fast-paced, complex operations facility up to a million square feet.
Our Senior Operations Managers serve as the face of the organization to potentially thousands of employees and the community where the center is located. This position offers unlimited career potential as we continue to grow our global footprint.
Strategic Responsibilities & Deliverables:
· Owns and delivers the operational budget for functional area, including safety, productivity, financial and labor planning, and operational goals for outbound, or inbound operations
· Responsible for providing strategic level/long-term planning (3, 6, and 12 months out) including labor planning, rate forecasting, and peak season planning
· Drives continuous improvement projects to optimize operations and improve productivity to meet and exceed business objectives; works on strategic projects that have total building and network-wide impact. Effectively leverages the Operations and Area Managers to solicit ideas and understand problems and challenges in the building.
· Networks with other leaders across the network to solicit and share process improvements and drive efficiencies and cost savings.
· Establishes objectives and metrics for safety, quality, productivity, and customer experience
· Sets clear goals and expectations for Operations and Area Managers. Measures performance, provides feedback, and holds leaders accountable
· Mentors and develops leaders and staff
· Participates in recruiting to identify and evaluate associates and internal/external candidates for promotion and hire.
· Works closely with support staff (HR, Finance, Maintenance Engineering, Safety, IT and other leaders) to build and secure support and resources for projects and initiatives
Additional Job Elements:
· Lift and move totes up to 49 pounds each
· Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
· Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours
· Should be able to work in environments with variable noise levels, lighting conditions and temperature variation.
· Able to access all areas of building (ascending and descending ladders, stairs, gangways safely and without limitation
· A completed Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
· Direct management experience, including a salaried workforce, in a manufacturing, production, distribution, or logistics environment
· Experience with performance metrics, process improvement, and Lean methodologies
· Experience with the full staffing lifecycle, including interviewing, hiring, performance management, promotions and terminations
· Candidates must be flexible to work a variety of hours as business demands, including overnight, weekends and holidays
· Preferred Qualifications:
· Degree in Engineering, Operations or related technical field; MBA or Master’s degree preferred
· Ability to handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situation
· Interest in long-term career development through assignments in multiple buildings across the nation
· Prior leadership development training or participation
· Track record of effectively leading an operation comprising both salaried and hourly staff of at least 100
· Demonstrated ability to successfully develop others into higher levels of leadership in an organization
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.