Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world. This role will be be to conceive, design, and execute development, qualification, and acceptance test on spacecraft systems.
A day in the life
Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment. We will need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains. Everyone on the team must exhibit extreme ownership of their projects, owning their projects from start to finish.
About the hiring group
This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your product’s performance, quality and cost. We want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
We're looking for an outstanding Mechanical Engineer with a background in space vehicle test and integration. The ideal candidate has experience performing bottom up design and analysis for test fixtures, test planning, and execution. They should have extensive knowledge of structural, mechanism, space environmental testing. This is a hands-on role for a highly collaborative individual that combines technical, and analytical capabilities to enable all aspects of mechanical testing from development, to qualification, to high volume acceptance testing. The candidate should have initiative for finding and solving ambiguous problems in a development and fast-moving environment.
Export Control Requirement: Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or relevant experience
· 3+ years of expiernece with spacecraft test planning and execution
· 3+ years of experience with CAD Design of test systems including 3D modeling, drawings, and GD&T
· 3+ years of experience of structural analysis including hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis
· Strong knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals
· Practical knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials used in a development test environmental.
· Experience with spacecraft environmental testing (Thermal, TVAC, Dynamics, etc)
· Experience with instruments and data acquisition (Strain gauges, thermal couples, load cells, etc)
· Experience with project management, schedule, and budgeting of multi- disciplinary execution
· Design analysis experience with stiffness/strength, structural dynamics, weldments, and bolted structures.
· LabVIEW, python, database expiernece a plus
· Experience with NX 3D modeling package
· Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations
· Cross-organizational communication – comfortable evangelizing ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively, in both verbal and written forms.