Interested in Amazon Alexa? We’re building the speech and language solutions behind the products and services such as the Amazon Echo and Dot. Come join us!
We're looking for an Applied Science Manager who combines exceptional technical, research and analytical capabilities to lead a team that will be integral to the continued improvement of Amazon Alexa. As an Applied Science Manager, you will be responsible for data-driven improvements and evaluation for our spoken language understanding models. You will lead a team of scientists and data experts to build ML models for assessing Alexa’s success at Natural Understanding with accuracy, reliability, scalability to new languages & devices, low latency and limited dependence on manually annotated data. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology, particularly in developing predictive analytics models for users and continuously improving the Alexa experience for our customers.
· Conducting and coordinating process development leading to improved and streamlined processes for model development.
· Ensuring data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including such areas as data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, transformation, cross-lingual alignment/mapping, etc.
· Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
· Presenting proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds, in written and verbal forms
· Supporting the career development of your team members.
The successful candidate will have an established background in defining metrics, building ML models, a strong technical ability, demonstrated experience in people management, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
Open to placement in Bellevue, WA or Seattle, WA
· Master's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Machine Learning, Computer Science or related field
· 5+ years work experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning, search or personalization-related problems.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· Ph.D. in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a closely related field.
· Experience with spoken language understanding systems.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities, especially with cross-disciplinary efforts.
· Project management experience.
· Experience with data engineers or business analysts in Big Data analytics.
· A good understanding of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity.
· Expertise in prototyping and scripting languages (e.g. Python) with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system.
· Experience in managing and quantifying improvement in multiple business areas resulting from business analytics, optimization techniques, and/or statistical modeling.
· Experience modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs and proven achievements in production systems.
· Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment.
· Knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance
· Knowledge of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us