Join Amazon EC2 to lead a talented team in building and running the high-volume, multi-petabyte big data and analytics systems that support Amazon EC2 capacity/fleet management and forecasting. Amazon EC2 provides on-demand scalable compute capacity, and powers some of the largest web services in the world.
You will help lead work to improve how we leverage data to better support our customers.
As a leader for this team, you will:
· Lead a team of Software Development Engineers and Data Engineers to build and run petabytye-scale data infrastructure and systems at EC2 scale
· Craft the vision and drive the roadmap for your team, thinking creatively about how data can be leveraged to improve how EC2 offers compute power to customers
· Attract and hire talented engineers for your team
· Mentor and coach your team members and foster an inclusive engineering culture
· Maintain high levels of operational excellence and data quality
· Lead and refine the team’s agile software development process
If you have technical leadership experience and a proven track-record in managing successful Software Development Engineers, then we’d love to learn more about you. Our Software Development Managers have their foundations in software and data engineering, with a passion for working with large-scale data systems. They are dedicated to getting the right things done and engage thoughtfully with customers and stakeholders to understand their needs. They show good judgement in establishing priorities, and can successfully manage implementation in an agile environment. They move swiftly and collaborate closely on small teams to solve unique challenges. If this sounds intriguing to you, then we could be just the team for you.
We strive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining talent from diverse backgrounds. We value work-life balance and offer flexibility in working hours. We are dedicated to creating opportunities for technical leaders, and you will have significant leadership responsibility to define the team’s vision, engage closely with stakeholders and customers, and manage delivery. You will be supported by a talented group of peers, and have access to meaningful mentorship and professional growth opportunities to develop as a senior technical leader in the organization.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 5+ years’ professional software development experience
· 2+ years’ experience managing engineering teams
· Proven ability to hire and grow a team of high-performing engineers
· Experience leading and working in an agile development environment
· Experience building and running high volume Big Data and analytics systems, and experience with the data ecosystem (e.g. Apache Spark, Hadoop/HDFS, Apache Airflow, Amazon S3-based data lakes, Kafka)
· Experience building and running Machine Learning data pipelines
· Proficiency in SQL, Python, Scala
· Strong customer focus, written and verbal communication skills and analytical abilities
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.