Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses. Amazon's advertising portfolio helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising, which grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The primary goals are to help shoppers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives, and build a sustainable business that continuously innovates on behalf of customers. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth.
Our Forecasting Products team builds end-to-end solutions for publishers, advertisers and Amazon DSP. This includes data pipelines, machine learning models, large scale data structures and indexes, advertiser recommendations (bids, products) and data visualizations. We match supply (human eyeballs) and demand (advertisers interests) in thousands of audience targeting dimensions, and recommend optimal prices.
As a Senior Applied Scientist, you will:
· Drive applied science (machine learning) projects end-to-end ~ from ideation, analysis, prototyping, development, metrics, and monitoring.
· Conduct deep analyses on massive Ad user and contextual data sets
· Propose viable modelling ideas to advance optimization or efficiency, with supporting argument, data, or, preferably, preliminary results.
· Invent ways to overcome technical limitations and enable new forms of analyses to drive key technical and business decisions.
· Design, develop, and maintain scalable, Machine Learning models with automated training, validation, monitoring and reporting.
· Stay familiar with the field and apply state-of-the-art Machine Learning techniques to our domain problems, around forecasting, bidding, allocation, and optimization.
· Produce peer-reviewed scientific paper in top journals and conferences.
· Present results, reports, and data insights to both technical and business leadership.
· Work across teams and lead a group of talented scientists and engineers to solve problems in the domains of forecasting, auction theory, bid optimization, and user clustering.
Team video - Amazon Advertising: https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
Why you love this opportunity
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. We are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth
You will invent new shopper and advertiser experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon. Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven fundamentally from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Proven success applying Machine Learning models to practical problems.
· Publications machine learning papers in well-known associations.
· Excellent written and oral presentation skills of quantitative result
· Expertise in working with big-data in map/reduce setting through, e.g., Apache Pig, Spark, EMR, etc.
· Experience working with very large real-world data sets and building scalable models from big data
· Demonstrated successful industrial experience, drives results
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Exhibits business judgment
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Dives deep think big and has convictions.