Where will AWS’s growth come from in the next year? What about over the next five? What are the drivers and factors of such growth? Are we investing enough in our infrastructure, or too much? How do our customers react to changes in prices, product selection, or delivery times? These are among the most important questions at AWS today.
A day in the life
The central AWS econ team is dedicated to answering these questions using quantitative and statistical methods. We develop cutting edge data pipelines, build accurate predictive models, and deploy automated software solutions to provide forecasting insights to business leaders at the most senior levels throughout the company. We are looking for a talented, driven, and analytical researcher to help us answer these (and many more) questions.
About the hiring group
The central AWS Econ team leads the way in developing innovative models, algorithms and strategies that will help us gain insights into how our business will grow and what will the drivers of such growth. These predictive models and insights will be based along products and product categories, customer segments, regions and locations, etc.
This Research Scientist role will explore and develop innovative quantitative approaches and models, generate features, test hypotheses, design experiments, build predictive models, and work with very large complex data sets in order to make predictions and forecasts. These forecasts and insights will provide a foundation of the highest level of visibility and importance for financial and operational planning. The successful candidate will be a problem solver who enjoys diving into data, is excited by difficult modeling challenges, and possesses strong communication skills to effectively interface between technical and business teams, working together with Economists, Data Scientists, Software Engineers, Product Managers, and Business Analysts.
· Research, develop and build predictive models and forecasting systems
· Analyze and research features and engineer features that help support predictive models and forecasting systems
· Provide insights by analyzing historical data
· Create experiments and prototype implementations of new learning algorithms and prediction techniques.
· Collaborate with engineering teams to design and implement software solutions for science problems.
· Ph.D./M.S. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Engineering, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· Proven experience in building statistical models using R, Python, STATA, or a related software
· Experience working with big datasets
· Ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary science and engineering team
· Ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders
· Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Engineering, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment
· Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.