Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses, responsible for defining and delivering a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products.
Worldwide Ad Success team (WASE) is at the forefront of our amazing growth machine enabling our teams to deliver at scale. Our goal is to scale account management multifold by investing in strategic self-service applications that improve productivity of external advertising customers and internal account management executives. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
As part of our team evolution we are investing in improving our understanding of the advertisers on Amazon through advanced ML modeling and building an ML service that delivers recommendations to advertisers and solves the prioritization and selection of most optimum recommendations and measure impact with explain-ability.
We are moving fast and have the ability to shape our tech infrastructure that will combine science and scalable engineering at a rapid pace. We are looking for a senior Applied Scientist to join the team to drive key science methods and delivery of the project, working closely with product and engineering leads, as well as our leadership. This is a relatively new team, with a focused initiative. We’re a fast-growing team with high visibility from the leadership team and lots of new opportunities.
As an Applied Scientist on this team you will:
· Solve business problems using state of the art machine learning methods.
· Work on full life-cycle projects - from researching the optimal machine learning models to use to deploying your models into production.
· Drive processes, tools, and statistical methods that support rational decision-making.
· Be technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the tech teams past conventional boundaries. Your dial goes to '11'.
· Help grow recruit other scientists to achieve outstanding results.
· Foster a creative atmosphere to let engineers and other PMs innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
· Explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; identify any gaps in the solutions and/or approach.
Why you love this opportunity
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. We are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth
You will invent new shopper and advertiser experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon. Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven fundamentally from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· 5+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications.
· Practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, Linear Programming/Optimization, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval, NLP, deep learning.
· Functional knowledge of AWS platforms such as S3, Glue, Athena, Sagemaker.
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.