How can Amazon improve the advertising experience for customers around the world? How can we help advertisers and customers find each other in a meaningful way? Amazon Advertising creates and transforms the connection between retailers/service providers and customers. Our teams strive to reinvent the way advertisers and agencies build brands and drive performance in their advertising. By using Amazon's foundation in e-commerce, we help brands connect with the right customers through creative solutions and formats across screens and devices, and in the physical world.
Amazon Advertising seeks a Machine Learning Scientist to join the Cross-Product Performance engineering team in Edinburgh. We make Reporting and Recommendations products that fuel our customer's advertising campaign workflows and performance. As a scientist on the team, you will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and scientific research, through to development and deployment of advanced models - giving you a real sense of ownership. The systems that you help to build will operate at massive scale to advertising customers around the world.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced ML scientist who has a track-record of performing analysis and applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems, who has great leadership and communication skills, and who is motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
· Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.
· Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into large-scale, highly complex Amazon production systems.
· Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment.
· Promote the culture of experimentation and applied science at Amazon.
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including private medical cover. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Experience of building machine learning models for business application
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· Proficiency with at least one mathematical programming environment (e.g. Numpy/Scipy, MXNet, PyTorch, TensorFlow, R, Matlab, SAS).
· Familiarity with Apache Spark and cloud services.
· Programming skills sufficient to extract, transform, and clean large (multi-terabyte) data sets in a Unix/Linux environment.
· Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills working with multiple peer groups and different levels of management.
· Results oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
· Highly innovative, flexible and self-directed, and also a cooperative team player.
· Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
· Ability to deal well with ambiguous and undefined problems.
· Strong sense of ownership and passion for delivering world-class software.