Do you want to help guide the future of Amazon’s next generation of fulfilment services to create the best customer experience by pushing the boundaries of economic modeling and experiments? The Multi Channel Fulfillment team is looking for an Economist to play a key role in guiding the next fulfillment delivery platforms to serve the fast growing needs of our merchants and Customers. Economists at Amazon are expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address challenging quantitative problems, guide business decisions, and contribute to the design of automated systems around the company. Upon joining the team, you will guide our businesses by building econometric models, using our world class data systems and applying economic theory to solve problems in a fast moving environment.
We are looking for an Economist who will lead the development of econometric models, experiments, and algorithms that will enhance our understanding of merchant and Customer behavior, and the impact of fee and policy changes globally. The ideal candidate will have experience with large scale marketplace behavior modeling, forecasting, outstanding technical abilities, and strong business acumen. They will be comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. The position will work closely with engineers, scientists, financial analysts, and product managers.
· Design and develop complex and innovative models to predict the impact of fees on third party seller’s behavior, growth, and commitment
· Design and conduct experiments to validate theories, and improve understanding of Amazon’s third party ecosystem and the impact changes have on the customer experience
· Refine fee structures to improve the benefits for customers and sellers
· Collaborate with product managers, data scientists and software developers to incorporate models into production processes and influence senior leaders
· Explain complex technical approaches to a variety of stakeholders, including senior leadership, software development teams, business/product teams, and cross-functional experts
· Serve as subject matter expert for economics related issues within the Multi Channel Fulfillment team
· Ph.D. in Economics
· Experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research
· Knowledge of econometrics and strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Casual and predictive modelling capabilities
· Ability to communicate relevant scientific insights to senior business leaders, financial analysts, and product managers
· Familiarity with relational databases, SQL, big data, and machine learning
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment
· Strong research track record
· Experience with at one of the following: R, Python, Stata, Matlab
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.