AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Role
As a Systems Development Engineer you will ensure that our infrastructure is designed and implemented to the high standards required to maintain and enhance customer trust. You will participate in the design, build and deployment of security-focused infrastructure as well as provide consultation, architectural review, risk analysis, vulnerability testing and security reviews of many elements of AbeBooks. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues and talented peers, all while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
You will be successful if you:
· Are excellent at building security and automation into the services you build and support
· Have sharp analytical abilities, excellent written and verbal communication and proven coding & design skills
· Are detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
· Have great leadership and teamwork skills
· Are calm and focused when dealing with incident response situations
· Have experience in supporting a 24x7 production environment with an on-call responsibility
AbeBooks offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, and a beautiful waterfront office space.
What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar. And we do all this while having fun and enjoying the tranquility of island life.
Apply today, and learn more about why you should join our award-winning workplace!
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent
· At least 3 years of experience in a systems engineering, systems administration or network engineering role
· Experience troubleshooting and identifying the root cause of issues.
· Experience with Linux and coding experience with multiple common languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, shell scripting)
· Experience implementing cloud computing services with service-oriented architecture and web services security
· Professional experience with server hardware, systems and network related protocols
· Experience in deploying and supporting web and multi-tier applications in a 24x7 production environment.
· Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence & efficiencies.
· Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills.
· Experience with CI, deployment and configuration management tools
· Java coding experience
· Experience driving engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and setting standards.
· Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, communicate effectively and gets the right things done.
· Experience using AWS