The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist with expertise in implementing, characterizing and validating coherent
control techniques for quantum information processing. Working alongside physicists and engineers, you will use your coherent control knowledge to help develop and implement novel multi-qubit control protocols. You will then use your experimental experience as you characterize, verify and validate their performance on qubit processors. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· using control theory, device physics, and quantum information concepts as necessary to develop and debug control/characterization protocols
· numerical simulation of protocols on multi-qubit systems to inform experiments
· converting protocols to experimental reality using a mixture of commercial and custom hardware
· contributing experimental routines and data analysis to the control software codebase
· developing statistically valid data analysis routines to distill the data into plainly communicable results to a multi-disciplinary team
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. The work/life integration within Amazon encourages a culture where employees work hard and have ownership over their downtime. We are exploring more structured wellness elements including meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and a culture of sharing wellness tips.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of the Center for Quantum Computing. You will receive career-growth-minded management and mentorship from a software and science team and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs. You will work closely with quantum research scientists and have opportunities to learn about quantum computing technology and contribute to the development of scientific software for quantum computing at AWS.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With quantum computing being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· 2+ years of relevant industry/academic lab experience controlling multi-qubit systems of any form - e.g. ion traps, NMR, NV centers in diamond, superconducting qubits, neutral atoms, quantum dots.
· proficient in a scientific programming environment such as Python or Julia for experimental control and data analysis
· proficient with quantum information processing concepts such as gate fidelity and statistics such as hypothesis testing
Experience with any of:
· control hardware such as FPGAs or microcontrollers - especially hardware related to quantum information processing
· collaborative software development
· creating models and numerical simulations of multi-qubit systems
· experience characterizing quantum gates with state and process tomography
· quantum characterization validation and verification protocols such as tomography, randomized benchmarking, gate set tomography
· analog and digital signal processing
· quantum optimal control