Are you passionate about leveraging your economics/econometrics skills to deliver actionable insights that impact daily business decisions? Do you like using causal inference and experimentation methodologies to answer challenging product and customer behavior questions? Do you enjoy building flexible, performant, and global solutions for complex financial, risk, and causal inference problems? If so, here is a great opportunity to consider!
A day in the life
Amazon B2B Payments is seeking a thoughtful Economist who combines their causal inference expertise with business intuition to generate critical insights that will set the strategic direction of the business. As an Economist on the Credit Systems Research team, you will design and build systems/solutions that support financial products, working closely with business partners, product partners, and engineers. Your work will focus on Amazon Lending, which offers loan products to help small and medium-sized businesses grow on Amazon. You will utilize causal inference and experimentation methodologies, data and coding skills, problem solving and analytical skills, and excellent communication to deliver customer value.
About the hiring group
The mission of B2B Payments is to create trusted paying experiences and financial services that empower any business to engage with Amazon from anywhere in any way. Within B2B Payments, the Credit Systems team builds models and systems to maximize business growth and customer experience/value while achieving risk constraints.
You will support our causal analysis and experimentation workstreams. You will use novel and advanced causal economics/econometrics techniques to answer questions on a number of challenging business questions related to credit systems products, focusing on Amazon Lending. You will be responsible for researching insights as well as educating the business, product, marketing, and business development teams on the implementation of those insights to enable data-driven decision making. You will partner with our product management, finance, marketing, engineering, and operations teams to:
· Contribute to the development and enhancement of business payment products and features.
· Use observational as well as experimental data to develop empirical econometric analysis and models to drive the business and improve our causal inference workstream.
· Understand business and product strategies, goals, and objectives and help set the causal and experimental roadmap.
· Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD in Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related field.
· 2+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research.
· Knowledge of econometrics and causal methods.
· Experience with Python, R, or Stata.
· Experience with SQL.
· Experience with experimentation and A/B testing.
· Experience with machine learning models.
· Experience with financial product pricing.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.