As the Director of AI Data Labeling you will lead a geographically distributed, multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for building and operating a scalable, world-class, multi-tenant, high-throughput, high-fidelity data labeling infrastructure. This role requires the ability to lead a team of machine learning (ML) applied scientists, software engineers, statisticians, economists, in-house labelers, product, and program managers. The team builds new software systems, explores new scientific approaches, defines and improves operational processes, and optimizes significant resource investments (people, vendor and compute budgets). The role requires strong operational skills to manage programs and guide product management to consolidate different labeling systems across Search, create a product roadmap that meets the needs of Search and other Amazon Consumer teams, and scale the product while meeting all internal customer needs for labeled data. This role is an opportunity to lead a fast growing area delivering labels for ML applications through a mixture of ML algorithms and human judges. It is an active area of research that will continue to evolve quickly over the next few years and we are looking for a leader at the forefront of this exciting opportunity.
· Masters in machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, statistics, econometrics, or related fields.
· 15+ years of experience in applying and improving machine learning systems with strong science and engineering ability.
· 10+ years of leadership and team management experience including hiring and developing both managers and ICs in the field across several international locations.
· Experience in selecting and managing vendors for textual, image, and video data annotation, classification, or translation.
· Experience working with multiple teams to identify their needs, and prioritize building the right features to support a diverse spectrum of use-cases keeping customer focus a priority.
· Experience building data labeling at scale, using state of the art algorithms like reinforcement learning to improve datasets, have experience in building scalable data-centric systems, and building systems and processes to connect internal systems to vendors securely.
· PhD in machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, statistics, econometrics, or related fields.
· Experience managing remote team members.
· Strong organizational planning and development experience in order to scale the business to keep pace with Amazon’s growth rate.
· This leader will have a strong record of hiring and developing the best talent.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity /Sexual Orientation / Age