Device Economics (DEcon) is looking for a senior economist with deep experience in empirical industrial organization and program evaluation to lead scientific evaluation and improvement of metrics used in promotion of Amazon Devices. The ideal candidate will be comfortable combining economic theory and empirical analyses to assess existing metrics in a principled manner, and devise superior metrics to advance business and customer interests. This role will be a critical leader in crafting the empirical strategy to advance promotion of first party Amazon Devices within the Device Economics team.
Amazon Devices designs and builds Amazon first-party consumer electronics products to delight and engage customers. Amazon Devices represents a highly complex space with 100+ products across several product categories (e-readers [Kindle], tablets [Fire Tablets], smart speakers and audio assistants [Echo], wifi routers [eero], and video doorbells and cameras [Ring and Blink]), for sale both online and in offline retailers in several regions. The space becomes more complex with dynamic product offering with new product launches, new marketplace launches, and improvements to existing devices through software improvements. Importantly, the Amazon Devices business operates as a manufacturer, with unique complexities distinct from the retail business requiring new science and innovation. The space remains ‘Day 1’.
The Devices Economics team leads in analyzing the complex marketplace dynamics and advancing science to reflect the durable goods aspect, and the broader availability of products (online and offline promotion). Device Economics enables science-driven decision making by combining economic expertise with macroeconomic trends, and including both in scientific applications for use by internal analysts, to provide deep understanding of customer preferences. Our team’s outputs inform product development decisions, promotion algorithms, investments in future product categories, product pricing and promotion, and bundling across complementary product lines. We have achieved substantial impact on the Devices business, and will achieve more.
Device Economics seeks an expert in valuing durable goods to help the business optimize promotion and merchandising of our products to deliver customers. This expert will evaluate existing promotion metrics, propose theoretical framework to combine different metrics, and drive a research agenda to advance the metrics. Applications could include promotion algorithms, product assortment offline, bundling recommendation, and for hypothesis generation of value drivers.
The candidate will work closely with Amazon Devices finance and promotion leadership to devise science roadmaps for innovation and simplification, and be comfortable operating in a cross-functional environment. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) are required to ensure success of this collaboration. The candidate must be passionate about advancing science for business and customer impact.
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, or other quantitative field.
· Experience in analytics and applied economics
· Track record in performing high-quality analysis of data at scale
· Experience in developing and executing an analytic vision to solve business-relevant problems
· Experience in building analytic or scientific data products or solutions
· Applicants with considerably more and broader, experience, are also strongly encouraged
· Expert in statistical and programming software including: Python, or Spark
· Expert at industry analyses, including experience with product bundling, substitution, and pricing
· Experience with causal machine learning in performant applications
· Proficient in Python or Spark
· Written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership.