Device Economics (DEcon) is looking for an economist experienced in causal inference, machine learning, empirical industrial organization, and scaled systems to advance critical resource allocation and pricing decisions in the Amazon Devices org. This role will help refine and execute scientific vision, including executing tooling to estimate demand. Output will be included in scaled systems and inform Devices finance and business leaders.
Amazon Devices designs and builds Amazon first-party consumer electronics products to delight and engage customers. Amazon Devices represents a highly complex space with 100+ products across several product categories (e-readers [Kindle], tablets [Fire Tablets], smart speakers and audio assistants [Echo], wifi routers [eero], and video doorbells and cameras [Ring and Blink]), for sale both online and in offline retailers in several regions. The space becomes more complex with dynamic product offering with new product launches, new marketplace launches, and improvements to existing devices through software improvements. The Devices Economics team leads in analyzing these complex marketplace dynamics to enable science-driven decision making in the Devices org. Device Economics achieves this by combining economic expertise with macroeconomic trends, and including both in scientific applications for use by internal analysts, to provide deep understanding of customer preferences. Our team’s outputs inform product development decisions, investments in future product categories, product pricing and promotion, and bundling across complementary product lines. We have achieved substantial impact on the Devices business, and will achieve more.
Amazon devices are durable consumer goods that delight customers at purchase and over time, and exhibit complementarities across product lines and product generations. Device Economics seeks an experienced economist adept in measuring customer preferences and behaviors with proven capacity to innovate, scale measurement, and mentor talent. This role has broad Devices-wide impact by advancing measurement of market dynamics, product interactions, and improving bundling, applicable across all product lines. This role will interact with internal customers.
The candidate will work closely with Amazon Devices leadership in finance and product development to refine science roadmaps for innovation and simplification, and advance adoption of insights to influence important resource allocation and prioritization decisions. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) are required to ensure success of this collaboration. The candidate must be passionate about advancing science for business and customer impact.
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, or other quantitative field.
· Experience in analytics and applied economics
· Strong track record in performing high-quality analysis of data at scale
· Applicants with considerably more and broader, experience, are also strongly encouraged
· Expert at industry analyses, including experience with product bundling, substitution, and pricing
· Experience with causal machine learning in performant applications
· Proficient in Python or R
· Experience in developing and executing an analytic vision to solve business-relevant problems
· Experience in building analytic or scientific data products or solutions
· Written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership.