Amazon’s Pricing Research team is seeking an experienced Economist to help envision, design and build the next generation of pricing capabilities behind Amazon’s rapidly growing Sold by Amazon (SBA) product. As an economist, you will work at the intersection of economic theory, statistical inference, machine learning and optimization theory to design new methods and pricing strategies with the potential to deliver game changing value to our customers. This is an opportunity for a high-energy individual to work with our unprecedented retail data to bring cutting edge research into real world applications, and communicate the insights we produce to our leadership.
A day in the life
· Participate in discussions with business partners, as well as product managers and tech leaders to understand the business problem
· Brainstorm with other scientists and economists to design the right model for the problem in hand
· Dive deep into the data
· Modeling and creating working prototypes
· Analyze the results and review them with partners
· Partner with other economists/scientists and/or mentoring them
· Present journal quality research in Internal and External science forums
About the hiring group
The pricing research group is a team of scientists and economists who design and implement the analytics powering pricing for Amazon’s on-line retail business. The team uses world-class analytics to make sure that the prices for all of Amazon’s goods and services are aligned with Amazon’s corporate goals.
This position is perfect for someone who has a deep and broad analytic background and is passionate about using mathematical modeling and statistical analysis to make a real difference. We are looking for someone willing to develop new methods to tackle important and, often, ambiguous research questions with direct impact in amazon pricing strategies. Experience in applied analytics is essential, and you should be familiar with modern tools for data science and business analysis. We are particularly interested in candidates with research background in applied microeconomics, econometrics, statistical inference and/or finance.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Management Science or other quantitative field.
· Experience in analytics.
· Written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership.
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged.
· Proficiency in R, Python and/or Spark.
· Experience in pricing-related analytics.
· Strong research track record.
· Strong track record in performing high-quality analysis of big data.
· Track record of driving change based on persuasive communication of insights and opportunities based on analysis.
· Experience incubating new technology working closely with research scientists, software developers and product managers from conception to implementation.