Note on Location: Seattle is preferred, but we are open to this role being located in other Amazon corporate offices in the Unites States.
Would you love to work in a highly creative space, diving into big operational problems? Are you interested in technical challenges at scale, involving a high degree of creative freedom?
Global Customer Fulfillment ACES (Amazon Customer Excellency System) is seeking a highly talented and motivated Senior User Experience Designer to join the Quantitative Business Intelligence Tools (QuBIT) team. In this role, you will be responsible for, and influence design of business critical tools and applications used across the Global Customer Fulfillment (GCF) Network with visibility spanning from Fulfillment Center teams to corporate leadership. This GCF network includes thousands of fulfillment centers charged with completing and shipping hundreds of millions of packages to customers each year! Every package we ship out is an opportunity for improvement, translating to better prices and service to our customers.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced owner; a problem-solver, self-learner, and self-starter who looks around corners to identify user problems and needs, proactively initiates the design process, delivers user-centric design, and influences stakeholders to positively impact experiences within Amazon’s global fulfillment network. In this role, you will serve as the design team lead for our safety and compliance domain, working alongside a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, and engineers to invent solutions that improve the safety and productivity of Amazon associates worldwide. You will own and drive the user experience from a global perspective, coaching your fellow designers and providing hands-on delivery of design deliverables. You will create solutions that scale, utilizing multiple tools and techniques to communicate your ideas. You will help build relationships across teams and countries, promote collaboration and efficiency, and raise the user experience bar to improve the lives of our fulfillment center team members and ultimately deliver smiles to Amazon customers.
You will be the design leader in across a global team with thousands of customers and over 9 international tools. Enjoy working across multiple teams of engineers, scientists and developers and wield design and UX influence across a large team. This role will influence many groups, and also have the potential to grow into a wider role with team management possibilities as additional projects develop, influencing your technical peers, team leaders and operations.
· Serve as the design lead for Global QuBIT tools. Partner with product and engineering counterparts to plan and prioritize work, resolve issues, and remove roadblocks. Coach and support other team members working in multiple product domain.
· Participate in planning of new features, projects, and products; understand business objective(s), analyze customer behaviors, identify UX problems and/or unmet customer needs. Advocate for the user’s point of view, working closely with product, engineering, and others to define solutions.
· Quickly and iteratively create high quality design solutions, with deliverables that effectively communicate the intended design. This may include journey maps, user flows, wireframes, clickable prototypes, high-fidelity mockups, detailed design specifications, or other design artifacts.
· Contribute to planning and execution of user research to inform requirements, shape designs, and evaluate final products.
· Present design work to design peers, product and engineering teams, business stakeholders, and executive leadership.
· Scope and manage work on assigned initiatives, including required design tasks and estimated time and resource needs. Provide regular progress updates and escalate issues when needed.
· Contribute to guidelines and design standardization across all of QuBIT’s products, including the team’s design system.
· Participate in peer mentoring and skill sharing to collectively raise the bar for design within the QuBIT team and across Amazon.
· Champion design thinking within the design team and across the larger QuBIT organization.
· Be resourceful and creative in overcoming obstacles and turning challenges into opportunities.
· Ensure voice of the customer is present by incorporating customer feedback, usage metrics, and usability findings into design, and performing metrics analysis post-launch to inform ongoing product improvements and optimization efforts.
· 6+ years of design experience
· An available online portfolio
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or 4+ years equivalent professional experience.
· 2+ years of experience as a design lead in a multiple designer setting and/or managing a design team.
· Fluency in human-centered design processes, usability best practices, and designing for multiple devices, screen sizes, and platforms.
· Experience working in a collaborative team, partnering closely with product management to define use cases and requirements, and working directly with developers on implementation of designs.
· Experience designing applications with complex workflows for business, enterprise, industrial, and/or internal users.
· Experience designing applications used in multiple languages across a global market.
· Experience designing to meet accessibility standards outlined in WCAG 2.1.
· Experience using design systems, pattern libraries, and user research to help inform design decisions.
· Experience planning, conducting, and synthesizing user research across a variety of methods.
· Ability to effectively synthesize feedback from other designers, researchers, product managers, engineers, and business stakeholders throughout the design process.
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to present a strong rationale for design decisions.
· Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced, often ambiguous environment.
· Ability to define, manage, and prioritize your own work, juggling multiple projects, possibly with competing deadlines.
· Passion for the role of design within an organization and the ability to drive design thinking.
· Passion for learning and innovation, balanced with business needs and customer expectations.
· Proficiency in design and prototyping software (e.g., Sketch, InVision, Figma, Axure, Adobe Creative Suite).
· Willingness to travel (~10%) locally, domestically, and internationally as needed for research, requirements gathering, and planning.