Amazon’s commitment to The Climate Pledge motivates us to work both inside and outside of our business operations to enact carbon emissions mitigation. Along with the emissions reduction initiatives within our business operations, we have a robust strategy aligned with climate science for tackling climate change outside of our business, beginning with nature-based solutions. As we continue to develop and innovate, Amazon is seeking an experienced Research Scientist to help us identify, evaluate, and guide research efforts in nature-based solutions as well as emerging areas. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of carbon cycles and be able to evaluate projects and initiatives across a wide range of natural and technological climate mitigation measures from a first-principles perspective. They will have expertise in one or more types of climate solutions, but more importantly will understand the broad field of solutions.
The successful candidate will be part of the team executing on Amazon’s commitment to The Climate Pledge. They will need to work with others to create a system to evaluate nature-based and technological climate solution projects, and make recommendations to senior leadership. This will require strong writing skills and an ability to translate technical material for a general audience.
· Evaluate nature-based and technological climate solution projects using a scientifically rigorous first-principles approach.
· Evaluate project and research proposals.
· Collaborate with internal and external teams to scope, execute, and evaluate highly technical initiatives related to nature-based and technological climate solution projects.
· Translate findings into reports and presentations that can be shared internally and externally.
· Respond to time-critical questions from multiple business teams and communicate professionally with senior business leaders.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn’t about which hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we'll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
· PhD in Environmental Science, Forestry, Engineering, Chemistry, or related quantitative field.
· 5+ years experience in evaluating, studying, designing, or implementing nature-based solutions or other relevant carbon reduction or removal projects.
· Analytical skills including statistics (regression, econometrics) and programming (Python, R, Matlab, etc.)
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
· PhD and 7+ years of experience in evaluating, studying, designing, or implementing nature-based solutions or other relevant carbon reduction or removal projects.
· Research and publications related to nature-based solutions, carbon reduction, or carbon removal
· Demonstrated expertise in multiple types of nature-based solutions or other relevant carbon reduction or removal projects.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.