Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon and when that box with the smile arrived you wondered how it got to you so fast? Have you wondered where it came from and how much it cost Amazon to deliver it to you? If so, the WW Amazon Logistics, Business Analytics team is for you. We manage the delivery of tens of millions of products every week to Amazon’s customers, achieving on-time delivery in a cost-effective manner.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, customer obsessed, Operations Research Scientist with good analytical skills to help manage projects and operations, implement scheduling solutions, improve metrics, and develop scalable processes and tools.
The primary role of an Operations Research Scientist within Amazon is to address business challenges through building a compelling case, and using data to influence change across the organization. This individual will be given responsibility on their first day to own those business challenges and the autonomy to think strategically and make data driven decisions. Decisions and tools made in this role will have significant impact to the customer experience, as it will have a major impact on how the final phase of delivery is done at Amazon.
Strong candidates will be a high potential, strategic and analytic graduate with a PhD in (Operations Research, Statistics, Engineering, and Supply Chain) ready for challenging opportunities in the core of our world class operations space. Great candidates have a history of operations research, and the ability to use data and research to make changes.
This role requires robust program management skills and research science skills in order to act on research outcomes. This individual will need to be able to work with a team, but also be comfortable making decisions independently, in what is often times an ambiguous environment.
Responsibilities may include:
· Develop input and assumptions based preexisting models to estimate the costs and savings opportunities associated with varying levels of network growth and operations
· Creating metrics to measure business performance, identify root causes and trends, and prescribe action plans
· Managing multiple projects simultaneously
· Working with technology teams and product managers to develop new tools and systems to support the growth of the business
· Communicating with and supporting various internal stakeholders and external audiences
· PhD in Supply Chain, Engineering, Math, Business Analytics, Transportation, Operations Research or other Operations disciplines; or equivalent PhD level degree is required
· Minimum three (5-10) years of industry experience in the operations, general management or engineering fields
· Experience in statistical modelling using R Python, SAS, Minitab or similar tools and optimization using Xpress, Cplex or other similar solver tools.
· Minimum four (4) years of industry experience in supply chain or transportation operations.
· Strong analytical skills including SQL, including the ability to pull data and use data to identify and solve ambiguous problem
· Experience with operations and delivery methodologies such as Lean/Six Sigma
· Technical aptitude and familiarity with the design and utilization of complex systems
· Knowledge of Java, Python, R, Tableau, and SQL required.
· Superior professional written and communication skills
· A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· 10+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, and/or Economists
· Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, NLP, deep learning, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval
· Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, SAS, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Advanced knowledge and expertise with Data modelling skills, Advanced SQL with Oracle, MySQL, and Columnar Databases
· Ability to manage and quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes
· Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Database and/or Data Warehousing, Data Sciences and Big Data processing.
· Deep understanding of data, application, server, and network security
· Advanced knowledge of Java, Python, Tableau and R.
· Functional knowledge of AWS platforms such as S3, Glue, Athena, Sagemaker.
· Advanced knowledge of machine learning algorithms such as XGBoost, LightGBM, ElasticNet.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us