Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role:
The Community team is looking for an experienced research science intern to help build and define the future for products that enable streamers to build engaged, healthy communities on Twitch. As part of our team you’ll move quickly to ship community health features that have high visibility, impact, and potential to delight our users. You’ll contribute directly to the design and evaluation of user-facing data-powered products that support the health and safety of communities on Twitch, shaping the experience for millions of viewers as they participate in billions of interactions.
Our team seeks an outstanding student engaged in an active program of academic research, with a track record of publishing high-quality work on topics related to online communities, content moderation, and community governance. We prize creative problem-solvers with the ability to generate and test hypotheses quickly in order to build our understanding of how to create product experiences that Twitch viewers will love.
You’ll find a Requirements section below. If you meet all of these then we encourage you to apply. If you meet most of them but think this role sounds like something you’d be great at, we encourage you to apply. We are passionate about building the future of community-driven entertainment, and we’re eager to find a research science intern who wants to play an active role in shaping the products that makes this vision a reality.
· Drive knowledge of how to delight Twitch viewers through ownership of research projects, from data collection to model development, estimation, and validation.
· Work with a diverse product team of technical and non-technical stakeholders to identify and answer research questions at the right level of detail
· Collaborate with analysts, scientists, and engineers to develop reliable and reproducible analyses at scale
· Deliver well-documented datasets, tools, and reports to key technical and business stakeholders
· PhD-level training (currently enrolled) in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Statistics, Organizational Psychology,
· Track record of publications in top-tier venues relevant to Community interaction on Twitch (e.g. CHI, CSCW, ICWSM, IMX, CHI PLAY, GROUP)
· Fluency in data analysis fundamentals: data manipulation in R or Python, SQL, and statistics.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics.
· Keen judgment for balancing research depth and pacing.
· Facility with NLP techniques (e.g. topic modeling, sentiment analysis), particularly in short, unstructured text domains.
· Prior experience with building scalable machine learning or statistical systems in production.
· Familiarity with Twitch and eagerness to help millions of content creators build thriving communities.
· Housing & competitive stipend provided
· Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
· Free Snacks & Beverages
· Flexible PTO
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.