Data Center Systems builds world-class controls software, enabling high security metering, monitoring, alarming, and software-enabled backstops to ensure the health of our thermal and electrical infrastructure at high infrastructure utilization.
As a Scientist, you will work on our Science team and partner closely with other scientists and data engineers as well as Business Intelligence, Technical Program Management, and Software teams to accurately model and optimize our power infrastructure. Outputs from your models will directly influence our data center topology and will drive exceptional cost savings. You will be responsible for building data science prototypes that optimize our power and thermal infrastructure, working across AWS to solve data mapping and quality issues (e.g. predicting when we might have bad sensor readings), and contribute to our Science team vision.
You are skeptical. When someone gives you a data source, you pepper them with questions about sampling biases, accuracy, and coverage. When you’re told a model can make assumptions, you aggressively try to break those assumptions.
You have passion for excellence. The wrong choice of data could cost the business dearly. You maintain rigorous standards and take ownership of the outcome of your data pipelines and code.
You do whatever it takes to add value. You don’t care whether you’re building complex ML models, writing blazing fast code, integrating multiple disparate data-sets, or creating baseline models - you care passionately about stakeholders and know that as a curator of data insight you can unlock massive cost savings and preserve customer availability.
You have a limitless curiosity. You constantly ask questions about the technologies and approaches we are taking and are constantly learning about industry best practices you can bring to our team.
You have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with product owners to understand key business questions and earn the trust of senior leaders. You will need to learn Data Center architecture and components of electrical engineering to build your models.
You are comfortable juggling competing priorities and handling ambiguity. You thrive in an agile and fast-paced environment on highly visible projects and initiatives. The tradeoffs of cost savings and customer availability are constantly up for debate among senior leadership - you will help drive this conversation.
· Master’s degree in Statistics, Operational Research, a related quantitative field, or equivalent industry experience
· Experience with machine learning, statistical analysis, data mining, and analytics techniques
· Hands-on experience programming in Python, R, or other data analysis and scripting languages
· Basic knowledge of SQL
· Personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies in data center infrastructure
· Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting
· Work well in a fast-moving team environment and effectively deliver technical implementations having complex dependencies and requirements
· Excellent communication and data presentation skills
· PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics or a related scientific field
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Expert in at least one statistical or scripting language (R, Python, Perl or similar).
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us