Core AI is an interdisciplinary team on the cutting edge of economics, statistical analysis, and machine learning whose mission is to solve AI and ML problems that have high risk with abnormally high returns. We are leveraging the strengths of our engineers and scientists to build solutions for some of the toughest business problems here at Amazon. We are especially interested in large scale dynamic optimization problems and research on the interface of ML and optimization to model complex networks of buyers and sellers.
A day in the life
We are looking for a seasoned principal scientist who is able to provide structure, including sourcing, defining, and leveling, around complex and varied business problems. We seek creative thinkers who can combine a strong research toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who know how to execute and deliver on big ideas. This individual will work closely with the topnotch academic talent represented by Core AI scholars to facilitate the discovery of cutting edge research ideas and their adoption by business teams.
About the hiring group
Unlike most Amazon teams, Core AI is a central organization spanning Amazon's suite of business and acts as a service to our internal partner teams for leveraging advanced science to create and drive results. Our mission is to solve AI and ML problems that have high risk with abnormally high returns.
Amazon.com strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Principal Research Scientist at Amazon will be expected to work directly with our Chief Economist and senior management on key business problems. They will apply the frontier of economic/statistical thinking to optimization, experimentation, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will generate cutting edge scientific ideas, build econometric/ statistical models, using our world class data systems to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. You will consult and evaluate business ideas and drive adoption of cutting edge scientific solutions by business teams.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· PhD in Statistics, Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related field.
· 10+ years’ of experience developing complex statistical solutions for business problems
· Strong fundamentals and practical experience in the field of dynamic optimization, bayesian statistics, forecasting and applied ML.
· Expertise with programming languages such as R, Python as well as scientific packages for statistics, data mining and deep learning.
· Ability to work with ambiguous and conceptually challenging mathematical problems
· Ability to work in fast-paced environment and resourceful in achieving success in the face of ambiguity while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities.
· Strong oral and written communication skills along with a proven ability to influence others internally and externally. - Strong research track record, drives results
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Exhibits business judgment
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Dives deep, thinks big and has convictions