The data and insights our team provides, powers all IMDb properties and feeds directly into the Amazon flywheel. IMDb employees enjoy the best of both worlds, the all benefits and resources of Amazon with the autonomy and impact of a small, nimble team.
A day in the life
We are looking for a highly skilled Data Scientist to build the necessary predictive models, optimization algorithms, and customer behavioral segments allowing us to show the right ad to the right person at the right time. As part of the Monetization Business Intelligence team you will be responsible for combining large datasets across multiple systems to find actionable patterns in user behavior. You will then transform those insights into scalable workflows to power our ad targeting systems. Leveraging machine learning, A/B testing, and statistical analysis you will refine our models and workflows, increasing scale and accuracy, driving increased value to our customers. You will work with business stakeholders from across the company to discover new monetization opportunities at scale, and tech stakeholders to build the necessary systems, processes and workflows allowing our advertising partners to directly communicate with our worldwide audience of entertainment fans.
About the hiring group
Do you love discovering unique and actionable insights from big data? Do you have a passion for movies and TV? If so, IMDb is the place for you! With over 200 million monthly users, IMDb is the worlds’ most authoritative source for movies, TV, and celebrities. We sit at the unique intersection of entertainment, media, and technology, inside the world’s most innovative and customer-centric company – Amazon.com.
The ideal candidate will be an expert in the areas of data science, optimization, machine learning and statistics, and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through execution. They will have an ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 2 years working as a Data Scientist
· Master’s degree in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· 8+ years of experience working as a Data Scientist, ideally within the programmatic advertising space
· Comfortable handling large sets (10M+ rows) of structured and unstructured data in a business environment
· Experience using AWS technologies such as Redshift, S3, EMR and data pipelines and scaling models into production
· Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, recommendation systems, information retrieval
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Proficiency with Tableau or other web based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts data maps etc.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.